The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2011, 11:45 AM   #26
ActivShootr

Quote:
Grinding screwdrivers isn't a dirty secret. Gunsmiths have always had to grind drivers to fit.

I made a pretty good S&W rebound slide spring tool out of a cheap screwdriver.

Just use the right tool for the job.
Old December 3, 2011, 11:48 PM   #27
Fleet

I've had Chapman bits snap off, I've had Wheeler bits snap off. Never had a Brownell's bit snap off, but I've twisted a couple. A broken bit = a scratched gun.
Old December 4, 2011, 04:32 PM   #28
drail

And a screw head twisted off by a bit made from tougher material than the screw is a major drag too. Again, the bit must be ground so that all the torque is applied to the bottom of the slot where the most strength is.
Old December 4, 2011, 06:30 PM   #29
Fleet

And if the temper in the bits makes them brittle (Chapman and Wheeler), then it doesn't matter if they fit the slot or not, they'll still break. I'd much rather deal with a broken screw than scratch a customers gun.
Old December 5, 2011, 10:25 AM   #30
4T4MAG

Thank you for all the feedback. I just ordered the Brownell's super set.
Old December 5, 2011, 04:30 PM   #31
HiBC

If you are tightening a screw and twist the head off,either you have a poor quality/defective screw,or you have grossly overtorqued it.Why?

If you are loosening a screw and excessive torque is required,at least stop and give some penetrating oil a chance.Have a cup of coffee.Look,think,figure out why.

OK,if the screw is seized and essentially welded in place,its going to break anyway.Then you have a tedious job to do in the mill.You have not yet scratched the receiver.

If you are pushing in on a screwdriver and it breaks,a hard,jagged,sharp broken end is headed for the blue or color case.Ugly!!

I do not want a screwdriver blade to break,period.That "break off tip"is a bogus idea,IMO.

Yes,fit your screwdrivers.And,some good tool mechanic screwdrivers can be ground to fit. Snapons,old Craftsman,S-K,,etc can be OK.No,you do not have to alter the temper if you know what you are doing.First,lose the weld shop grey grinding wheel and put on a surface grinder wheel.Works good on drills and lathe bits,too.Use a light touch for a short time.Hand finish them .

I did not do it,but I saw a color cased Meacham Hi-Wall with a scratch on the side of the receiver.What do you do? In this case,it was not a screwdriver,but,what do you do?

I'd rather make a new screw than deal with a gouged part from a brittle screwdriver.