The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 3, 2011, 10:26 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
What approximate percentage of sheriffs or marshals in post civil war nineteenth century owned a horse? I would include those who had a horse provided for them by the organization which sanctioned their office.
I think your question needs some tuning up. Don't forget, there were two kinds of marshals in the "old west." Sheriffs had jurisdiction over the unincorporated areas in counties -- just as they do today. TOWN marshals were appointed locally and had jurisdiction only within the city limits. They were an entirely different entity than U.S. marshals.

Town marshals probably had little need of a horse. Sheriffs probably had a LOT of need. A U.S. marshal might or might not need a horse, depending on where he worked. I've read of U.S. marshals who owned a saddle that they would take with them by train to an assignment, but if they needed a horse they'd rent one locally.
Old December 3, 2011, 10:39 PM   #27
Doc Hoy

Triple B

Agree.

In other census documents, the officials admit that for every one hundred documents sent out only 20 to 35 were returned. That is true from Virginia to California.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson