The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
hounddawg

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Anyone here use one? I am thinking about getting of of these up at Harbor Freight this weekend.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html

Mostly for my rifle cartridges to protect the necks from tumbling, also even after boiling I never felt real good about the insides being as clean as they should be. I could care less about "shiny" just want to make sure all the crud is gone. Anyway, thoughts or opinions anyone and yeah I know that Harbor Freight isn't exactly Craftsman but figure for the price ......

Last edited by hounddawg; November 23, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old November 23, 2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Powderman

I use an ultrasonic cleaner a bit smaller to clean up my BPCR brass. Takes the fouling out, slick as a whistle. I have also used it for parts--1/3 to 1/2 Simple Green and hot water. Turn it on, and watch the gunk fly out!
Old November 23, 2011, 06:15 PM   #3
hounddawg

thought it might work good on a stripped down pistol also, assuming it is bigh enough. There are places on my 1911 only a drill sergeant and God can get the gunk out of and even God might have a problem.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:46 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I use one for my rifle brass before, and after FL resizing. Though I have the small HF one pint. It goes for 3 mins at a time. It usualy takes about 3 cycles for not too awful dirty brass, 4 or 5 for fairly dirty. Super cruddy stuff goes on the tumbler, as well as dirty bucket handgun brass.
Old November 23, 2011, 08:09 PM   #5
mumbo719

I have that model and used it for pistol brass. I get good results with 200 9mm cases and a quart of water. In my unit if I add more than 200 cases and a quart the results aren't that great.

Gets the crud off and AR BCG really well and I get awesome results on pistol barrels.
Old November 24, 2011, 01:48 AM   #6
noylj

First, all you need to do is wipe off the exterior. Anything beyond that is done for ease or some OCD reason.
I find that 30 minutes in a tumbler with 20/40 grit corn is more than sufficient.
If you're really worried about the soot inside the case (which helps lube the case neck when expanding and seating the bullet), then you need to consider a ultrasonic or wet tumbling. Since you are also concerned about the case mouth, only an ultrasonic could possibly please you.
I think that the Kendal ultrasonic cleaner at $79.90 on Amazon would be a winner.
This appears to be identical to the Lyman Turbo Sonic Ultrasonic Case Cleaner, which Midway USA has for $95.
You will want to use hot water and dish-washing detergent (Dawn) and LimiShine or other citric acid product. Not sure if vinegar works as well. This will produce a tank of very dirty water in 30 minutes and will almost completely clean all your cases in 60 minutes (time varies by power of ultrasonic transducer).
The solution needs to be changed when it is very dirty and it will almost certainly be too dirty after just one load of cases.
You can also simply place the cases in the solution and let them soak over night and you will not need to buy an ultrasonic cleaner.
Of course, you could also try a gallon of carburetor cleaner. Simply dump the cases into the basket and lower the cases and pump them up and down a few times.
Just remember, all you NEED to do is wipe off the outside of the case. This exposes the case to no chemicals or any other environmental damage.
Old November 24, 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
deepcore

I have that unit. It works for me. Not the most powerful unit in the world of course.

My cases get REALLY clean with sonic cleaning. Now, the sonic cleaners I have tried have had only one transducer right in the middle units' tubs. Cleaning action decreases towards the edges of tubs. Nature of the beast. Happens at my work too. I found on the "internets" someone who recommended using a repurposed beaker (I use a repurposed salsa jar) filling it with the cleaning solution, filling sonic cleaner with water, play with how much water you put in the tub, and playing with how high off of the transducer to suspend the jar to get the best cleaning action. I drilled a hole in the top of my jar and used an eye-bolt and nut, used string tied above my cleaner to lower and raise the jar. You can hear the cases vibrate in the jar and I set the height in the water for the loudest vibration I can get. Even see the cases swirl in a circle inside the jar.

For me, this works better that just filling the cleaner with water, solution, and cases, takes forever. Since I need to use more cycles this way and my cleaner automatically shuts off if I use too many cycles close together. So I have to wait for cool down and that takes even longer. With the jar system I find I can get the cases in the jar clean in 1-2 eight min cycles. I can about 20-25 308 cases in my jar.
Old November 24, 2011, 09:46 AM   #8
deepcore

Also noticed that putting even less cases per wash load speeds things up in the long run. For me putting in 10 cases and running one cycle results in cleaner cases than if I run 20 cases for two cycles.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:15 AM   #9
hounddawg

Quote:
If you're really worried about the soot inside the case (which helps lube the case neck when expanding and seating the bullet), then you need to consider a ultrasonic or wet tumbling. Since you are also concerned about the case mouth, only an ultrasonic could possibly please you
one thing I have learned is that in LR to eliminate fliers is that the key to consistency. Same shooting routine every time, same cheek weld, same charge to the grain, sort bullets by weight to 1/10th of a grain, uniform neck thickness and tension. You can shoot 1/4 inch groups at 100, 1 inch groups at 200, go to 800 or 1000 and you can be all over the target if things are not uniform with every shot.

The last mechanical variable I can eliminate is the crud inside the cases. Decided to skip the Harbor Freight and go straight to a Hornady stainless or HCS 200. I figure with the larger size I can field strip my 1911 or CZ and just dump the pieces parts in there instead of scrubbing with a toothbrush for a hour or more. Gotta save some pennies first though.
Old December 3, 2011, 12:19 AM   #10
toolguy2006

I know this response is a little late.........

I have the unit that you are looking at, and have had great results from it. I use the recipe listed here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

I follow this with an hour in the oven at the lowest temp available. Mine happens to be 170 degrees.

I have noticed that my cleaner only really cleans well, right over the transducer. Running multiple containers of casings seems to be more time consuming than running single containers back to back. I found some containers at the local cash-n-carry (supplies small restaurants and such) that were sold for dispensing dry condiments like pepper flakes for pizza. They look like a small coffee cup with a snap on strainer lid. Works like a charm.

I have noticed that a good cleaning does require that the brass is de-capped first.

http://www.therestaurantstore.com/Ta...21496SKRF.html

This is very similar to the containers that I found. The picture isn't great, but you should get the idea.

Last edited by toolguy2006; December 3, 2011 at 12:34 AM.