The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2011, 11:27 PM   #1
sevilnort

Overloaded Shotgun Magazine

A friend of mine was loading my Remington 870 and he somehow lodged too many shells in the magazine tube. Right now there is 1 in the chamber and 5 in the tube. A shell is actually behind the carrier right now. The fore-end is stuck and I can't unload the gun. Any suggestions?
Old November 26, 2011, 12:03 AM   #2
oregunner

Try dropping the trigger out, (keep the safety on) then you should be able to access the shell stop and get them out. Mark
Old November 26, 2011, 12:21 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Be VERY careful disassembling the gun with one in the chamber. It's dangerous.

If you decide to go ahead with the process, expect the firearm to discharge at some point in the process and take the necessary precautions of keeping the gun pointed at a safe backstop. It may not go off, but if it does fire, at least that way no one is likely to be hurt badly or killed. If it goes off while you have your fingers inside the guts of the gun, understand that the recoil is going to be hard on your fingers.
Old November 26, 2011, 02:38 AM   #4
TheKlawMan

What about unscrewing the magazine cap very carefully as the sping will be under a lot pressure? DOING THIS WITH THE SAFETY ON AND THE GUN POINTED IN SAFE DIRECTION SHOULD IT FIRE. After the spring is out, see if you can empty the magazine tube out the barrel lug. Clear the chamber by ejecting the round.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:08 AM   #5
sevilnort

Fixed

Thanks guys! That worked. I just pushed out the two trigger plate pins (with the safety still on) to remove the trigger assembly. My buddy swore he didn't "overload" it and he was right. One of the shells somehow got lodged underneath the carrier. I'm pretty new to gun ownership so I didn't want to start disassembling anything without getting advice. Again, thanks for your help.
Old November 26, 2011, 01:36 PM   #6
rsnell

This is a common problem with the 870. You must be sure the round you are loading in the magazine has been completely inserted into the magazine.