The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 14, 2011, 09:32 PM   #76
Justice06RR

A loaded firearm is not the main issue, as many Americans including me (and many others i'm sure) have plenty of loaded fireams in their homes for SD/HD.

it was irresponsibility and negligence that led to the tragedy, and each gun owner needs to be aware of the responsibility we all carry when possesing firearms. But I agree with what was posted before that kitchen knifes, cars, and even matches are deadly weapons although they are not designed that way.
Old November 14, 2011, 10:42 PM   #77
briandg

It should be noted that guns are not the only product with double standards. A toddler who dies in a home because he gets under the bathroom sink and drinks a bottle of scope is just a senseless tragedy. If they get into medications, there is a lot less sympathy.

The problem is, as I will say a million more times before I die, that we are taking as gospel the opinions of people who are so stupid their mouths should be sewed shut.

Yep, I'm being judgmental. but, who started it? the millions of people who decided that they have the right and responsibility to set standards of behavior.
Old November 14, 2011, 11:34 PM   #78
farmerboy

I'm beginning to like you Brian !
Old November 14, 2011, 11:45 PM   #79
briandg

why, thank you sir.

Years ago, I wrote a series of stories that parodied super heroes.

One of the leaders of my group of supervillains was Judge Mental. he ran appellate court. his superpower was mind control. the villains would be convicted in lower court, and then be cleared in higher court.

For years after that, my wife called me Judge Mental, because I'm one of the most intolerant people she ever knew.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:44 AM   #80
RazorbackMac

Negligent? Yes, but as stated, not a reoccurring theme for the gun owner.
Charges? IMO, no. The mental anguish will do more than any sentence would.
Tragic? Definitely.

Having not posted often on this site, allow me to introduce myself: David from NW Arkansas, pro-gun, pro-SD/HD, pro-stupid people outnumber even the semi-intelligent.

I work at a store as a sales clerk that sells long guns and I can say with professional certainty that the first thing people do when I hand them a firearm is jam their finger toward the trigger only to be stopped by a trigger guard I installed. Not all of them look directly into the muzzle but do not think for a moment that less than 20% of them do. To top things off, it isn't uncommon for the muzzle to be pointed at someone (usually me) during some of the firearm viewings. Are the guns unloaded, absolutely. I first ensure firearms are unloaded upon receiving from the factory, then prior to installing a trigger lock, then again in every instance before handing one to a customer, it has become pure instinct for me at this point (Their are even a few "gun nuts" that even check for themselves after being handed the firearm ). If not in my hands or the customers hands, they are behind lock and key. Some might even say I go overboard by only allowing one gun to be out of the case at a time... and to those people, I say open your own gun store and do things your own way... As for me, I make it a point to ensure my own safety as well as anyone in my presence and have decided this is the best route for me.

Having said all of that, I like to think I am doing everything in my power to be as safe as I can and I follow a lot of these procedures at home as well as at work. To the point of the OP, I fully believe I am not the smartest person alive yet I know from watching people, I exhibit better gun safety than a lot of people. (Not being elitist, attempting to make a point) As I said, I'm no smarter than anyone, I think being taught gun safety from an early age is the sole reason for my safe habits. I encourage children even from non-gun households to know gun safety... It isn't stated in the OP whether the girl that fired the gun was from a non-gun household or not but supposing she was, gun safety education could have changed the outcome (maybe not the case, just showing why I think it is important for all children, not just gun friendly households.)

I also would like to say that at 14, I knew guns were dangerous. I also knew at 14, that tobacco was bad for you. (Actually, I have been told both from about the age of 5). Did I still start using tobacco at 18? Yes. I say this to point out that A) I would like to think that 14 year olds knowing guns are dangerous isn't the minority and B) People are stupid. Knowing it was bad for me, I still started using tobacco. Education was a great start but "do as I say" didn't scare me away after watching dad smoke a pack of cigarettes a day. You can stress safety orally until you are blue in the face but acting in unsafe ways will only overrule those lessons and instill the fact that accidents only happen to others. Even if you don't think anyone is watching and learning from your actions, you never know. (Not to mention your own safety is at risk even when others aren't watching you) Don't just say, DO!
Old November 15, 2011, 12:53 AM   #81
RazorbackMac

I apologize profusely that my last post was nearly an entire book... I tried to get off my soap box as fast as I could but I slipped in the process and had to go back to the mic to justify why I fell... Then I tried to leave again and realized I left my phone at the podium and had to go back to retrieve it... ... ... I'm not long winded on purpose, I promise. I'll try harder to make my points sooner #FAIL.
Old November 22, 2011, 04:19 AM   #82
1stADCombatVet

In this situation, there are several people at fault. First, the homeowner who left the Loaded weapon out, in my house, the only weapon that isn't locked in my gun safe is the one that I carry, and I am in control of it at all times, Yes it should have been locked up. But, as you have stated, his children were teenagers, and in all probability had been raised to respect weapons, and taught the right way to handle them. His teenager, who took her friends into the room, should have known as soon as she saw the weapon to grab it and put it away. The girl who picked up the weapon was also at fault, but on that, more than her, i think her parents were at fault. even if you do not have weapons in the house, I believe that, as a parent, it is your duty to teach your children about firearms, and to respect them, not to treat them as toys. this whole situation is tragic, even if no charges are filed, that Girl will live the rest of her life with the knowledge that she killed her friend. and the home owner will curse himself for the rest of his life for leaving the pistol out. Should charges be filed against either the home owner, or the young lady who fired the weapon? I'm Really torn on this one. Part of me says yes, while the other half of me says no, that this is nothing but a Very Very tragic accident, one that should have been avoided yes, but a accident none the less, and living with this for the rest of their lives will be punishment enough. Also, I can Guarantee you that from now on, he will never leave his weapons laying around like that again.