The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 15, 2011, 09:56 PM   #51
BGutzman

Thank you for your comment, I hope it helped the situation in some small way..
Old November 20, 2011, 11:05 PM   #52
Al Norris
Staff

OK Sports Fans .....

On Friday, the President signed “Fiscal Year 2012 Agriculture, Commerce/Justice/Science (CJS) and Transportation/Housing/Urban Development (THUD) Appropriations bills” into law.

Why should you take note of this? Because in a little noticed section, that has passed completely under the radar of just about everyone, is this little gem:
SEC. 541. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used to pay the salaries or expenses of personnel to deny, or fail to act on, an application for the importation of any model of shotgun if–
(1) all other requirements of law with respect to the proposed importation are met; and
(2) no application for the importation of such model of shotgun, in the same configuration, had been denied by the Attorney General prior to January 1, 2011, on the basis that the shotgun was not particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
Read more about it here: http://www.ammoland.com/2011/11/19/l...gun-ban-plans/
Old November 20, 2011, 11:58 PM   #53
rjrivero

Thanks for posting this, Al. A nicely nested blow to the gun grabber's agenda!!
Old November 21, 2011, 03:54 AM   #54
maestro pistolero

How sporting of them. Bwahahahahahaah!
Old November 21, 2011, 07:48 AM   #55
C0untZer0

I guess like Holder - Obama doesn't read anything.
Old November 21, 2011, 09:04 AM   #56
thallub

Too bad this law was not in effect in 1984 and in 1986 when the president at the time banned two shotguns from import, citing the "sporting purposes" clause of the GCA 1968. This was the first time a long gun was banned from import. This set a precedent that was cited by two later presidents when they banned long guns from import.
Old November 21, 2011, 09:57 AM   #57
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Norris
Good news! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub
Too bad this law was not in effect in 1984 and in 1986 when the president at the time banned two shotguns from import, citing the "sporting purposes" clause of the GCA 1968. This was the first time a long gun was banned from import.
What shotguns are you thinking of? The only previous examples I can think of are the USAS-12, Striker 12, and Streetsweeper shotguns, all of which were banned by ATF Rulings 94-1, 94-2 in 1994. And even in 1984, it certainly wouldn't have been the first time a long gun was banned from import since one of the major points of the 1968 Gun Control Act was to remove military surplus rifles from importation (an issue which was fixed by the 1986 FOPA).
Old November 21, 2011, 10:11 AM   #58
Technosavant

Nice little tidbit in there. Thanks for letting us know, Al.

(tinfoil hat time)...

But if somebody does this on their own time as a freebie, they could still ban them?
Old November 21, 2011, 10:11 AM   #59
thallub

Quote:
And even in 1984, it certainly wouldn't have been the first time a long gun was banned from import since one of the major points of the 1968 Gun Control Act was to remove military surplus rifles from importation (an issue which was fixed by the 1986 FOPA).
No long guns were banned from import under the "sporting purposes" clause of the the GCA until 1984. Underline is mine.

http://rpc.senate.gov/releases/1998/importban-kf.htm

Quote:
The 1968 Gun Control Act states specifically that the act had no intention of "plac[ing] any undue or unnecessary Federal restrictions or burdens on law-abiding citizens with respect to the acquisition, possession, or use of firearms appropriate to the purpose of hunting, trapshooting, target shooting, personal protection, or any other lawful activity . . ." It was not until 1984 that this open-ended definition was more narrowly applied to only certain sporting activities, such as hunting and organized marksmanship.

In 1984, the "sporting purposes" test was specifically applied to rifles and shotguns. The firearm in question was a South African riot control shotgun. The importer, pursuant to the statute requirements, indicated that the weapon fit "sporting purposes" due to its "suitability for police/combat style competitions." ATF denied the license.

Last edited by thallub; November 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old November 21, 2011, 01:21 PM   #60
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub
No long guns were banned from import under the "sporting purposes" clause of the the GCA until 1984. Underline is mine.
There were plenty of long guns banned by the 1968 GCA long before 1984, otherwise they wouldn't have had the sporting purposes test to begin with. It wasn't until FOPA loosened up the restrictions on milsurps in 1986 that many of the rifles we now take for granted became available. Now 1984 may be the first time ATF officially declared that " "suitability for police/combat style competitions" was not a "sporting purpose" under the act. I'd have to do some research; but it looks like Sen. Craig's staff is mistaken if they believe 1984 is the first time a long gun was barred from import into the United States under the sporting purposes clause.
Old November 21, 2011, 06:34 PM   #61
Lurch37

I'm assuming this means the prices of all those Saiga 12's and Benelli M4's will drastically fall allowing me to finally get one. Or not.
Old November 21, 2011, 10:40 PM   #62
Hardcase

Quote:
...it looks like Sen. Craig's staff is mistaken...
Having assisted in preparing engineering-related testimony for Senator Craig's staff in the past, I can assure you that both he and his staff were mistaken quite a bit of the time. Mama always said that if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all, so I'll leave it at that.