The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 27, 2011, 07:23 PM   #26
GM1967

My National Guard unit still had some M3 greaseguns in the mid to late 1990s, don't remember what year they finally got turned in. They were assigned to our recovery vehicle operators, part of the system of the recovery vehicle.

I got to handle them, but never fire them. The soldiers assigned those weapons did get to fire them once, but sadly I didn't get a chance to shoot them that time.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:44 PM   #27
rose728751

mybaddd

You are right, it was a crew issued weapon. 1/64AR, 2/64AR, 2/6CAV,3/7CAV,
3rd ACR, 11th ACR.

Not crew served
Old May 28, 2011, 12:12 AM   #28
Boberama

Cool.
Old June 9, 2011, 08:24 AM   #29
BlueTrain

Clearly, opinions vary of this weapon, probably just about as much as opinions vary on every other weapon.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:08 AM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

I know one person who had considerable experience with a grease gun, and he was quite fond of it. He primarily liked how compact it was and the fact that when called on to clear houses in Europe, he said it was a LOT easier to maneuver in cramped stairwells and hallways that are found in many older European homes.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 9, 2011, 11:02 PM   #31
James K
Staff

Hi, n4aof,

Partially wrong on the M3, totally wrong on the M3A1. The dust cover of both the M3 and the M3A1 served as the safety. If closed with the gun cocked, it blocked the bolt from going forward and moved the bolt back off the sear. The M3A1 was improved by having the tab on the cover enter the cocking hole in the bolt when the bolt was closed, thus it prevented the bolt from moving due to inertia so it was safe in that regard as well.

The safety was positive; releasing the bolt with the cover closed could not and did not move the cover out of the way. If that happened, the gun was defective.

Incidentally, the M3/M3A1 played another role in gun lore. It served as the inspiration for Bill Ruger to make the frame of his original .22 auto pistol the way the Grease Gun was made, from two stamped pieces of steel welded together. And that was the start of a firearms empire.

Jim
Old July 22, 2011, 04:35 AM   #32
phagar

This is the end stage development of the M3A1 . It started life as a SpitFire made in Phx Az in the 1960's . The SpiteFire ran at about 800 rounds per minute. It was a real ammo waster . After replacing the internals with those of the M3A1 it runs at the more reasonable speed of about 300/350 rpm. At that rate it is able to produce single shots with only trigger control . I also replaced the M3A1's trunnion with the UZI type that made it much easier to replace barrels .

As produced

As modified

Field Stripped

Detail Stripped
Old July 24, 2011, 09:16 PM   #33
hknut

I have fired the M3 full auto and I liked it more than the Tommy Gun.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old July 25, 2011, 02:02 PM   #34
Jason_G

8.5 lbs?!!

I had no idea those things were that heavy! That's only about a pound lighter than an M14. Wow.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old July 27, 2011, 01:51 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
8.5 lbs?!!

I had no idea those things were that heavy! That's only about a pound lighter than an M14. Wow.
It may seem heavy, but its stll lots lighter than a Tommygun! By a couple of pounds!
Old July 27, 2011, 04:30 PM   #36
Jason_G

Quote:
It may seem heavy, but its stll lots lighter than a Tommygun! By a couple of pounds!
Yeah, I suppose so, but the Thompson looks heavy. I just never thought the grease gun looked that heavy I guess. Just looks like thin stamped steel, I'd have figured maybe 5 lbs empty. Learn something new everyday.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old July 27, 2011, 04:30 PM   #37
Chindo18Z

The suppressor was big & heavy enough to beat someone to death with it.
I once had the end cap come off the can while firing and the gun sprayed washers to the target line.

It was a simple and effective weapon whose compact size also made it easy to rig for parachute operations.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:21 PM   #38
pvt.Long

id take this weapon over any other SMGs over any day of the week especialy the thompson.
Old July 27, 2011, 09:33 PM   #39
Jason_G

Quote:
id take this weapon over any other SMGs over any day of the week especialy the thompson.
Why is that?

Jason
Old November 3, 2011, 02:36 PM   #40
DeeDubya

We pulled out my friends M3A1 Grease Gun and Thompson a few months back and dusted them off.
Me on the Grease Gun. About a 10 lb trigger for the open bolt. Watch me tug after the mag was empty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHEUjLWYQqQ

My son hosing the Thompson. First time for him on the Thompson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrzrATMB_aM

And my son with a little better control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC7ZGAd-ZUc

NRA Life Member
Old November 21, 2011, 02:40 AM   #41
bamaranger

what?

In the video referencd by the OP regards a Korean War Vet describing his experience with the M3..........the vet makes the statement that his "24 inch E2" or words to that effect.

To what weapon is he referring. He state it failed, he disabled it by bashing it over a rock, and picked up an M3.........