The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2001, 10:17 AM   #1
high_caliber

I bought the RCBS Rockchucker kit last July to get started in reloading. I reload primarily 45ACP. For an upgrade in presses, should I get the RCBS Piggyback or the Dillon 550B?
Old February 9, 2001, 10:43 AM   #2
proximo

Is this a trick question?

Seriously, you'll find that having two presses is useful. I'd buy the Dillon because you'll be much happier with it as a progressive. You can set it up for the major caliber you reload for and use the Rockchucker for the occasional 10 or 20 rounds of hunting ammo, etc. I own both and wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I'm debating whether I should add a second 550B to my menagerie.
Old February 9, 2001, 12:18 PM   #3
high_caliber

"Is this a trick question? "

No, I am new to reloading and haven't even seen any kind of Dillon press.

Thanks, Lou
Old February 9, 2001, 01:49 PM   #4
Kenneth L. Walters

Having owned both I'd say Dillon BUT today I got the new RCBS 2001 catalogue. There is a new version of the Piggyback in there that looks interesting. Might want to see that before making a decision.
Old February 9, 2001, 07:33 PM   #5
Vek

I've got the piggyback. I stumbled across it for filthy cheap at a gunshow. I wouldn't buy one new...I'd get a dillon. P-back is good for speeding up a couple of tedious steps... I'm better off sizing and crimping in separate steps due to the shell plate retention design (you'd understand if you saw it). JMO

JV
Old February 9, 2001, 08:25 PM   #6
Kenneth L. Walters

Just sitting down to order the new Piggyback III. It uses the APS priming system which is GREAT. I must admit that the earlier Piggyback were, well, unfortunate but this one looks interesting. It is based on the Progressive 2000 so I can use my spare tool heads in it. That will be nice!
Old February 9, 2001, 08:26 PM   #7
proximo

High_caliber, sorry, no offense meant. The Dillon is a superb press and you'll never regret the day you put your money down for one. The Piggyback, on the other hand, is tolerated by some, maybe loved by a few, but is not considered a first choice by most.