The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
mwsenoj

Cost of reloading 10mm and 45ACP

ABOUT how much does it cost 10mm and 45ACP? I am talking plinking loads with jacketed bullets (for my glock barrels) that I will use in action pistol matches... not 2 legged varmint rounds I am getting my dad's Dillon RL 550B refurbished at Dillon's now and I plan on reloading for myself and a friend in the near future and I cant wait!
Old November 5, 2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Adamantium

The cost of reloads will vary quite a bit between people because of things like different bullets, buying in bulk online or at a store, cost of brass. I recommend using a reloading calculator and plugging in your info for the best result.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
Old November 5, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Kevin Rohrer

I can't comment on using jacketed bullets as I am cheap. I can get lead .45ACP for $55 a thousand at the local gun show. With my other penny-pinching purchases, I can load 100-rounds for $10.80.

Here is a calculator to help you figure costs.

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/H...Calculator.htm

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!" --Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; November 6, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:27 PM   #4
dickttx

Just computed mine yesterday.
MBC 200gn RNFP, 5.0gn HP38, CCI300 primer: $6.15 per box of 50.
I don't compute any cost for brass as I always come home with more than I left with.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:47 PM   #5
shootniron

My cost may not accurately reflect what yours will be because I shoot only my cast bullets for range ammo with the exception of the factory SD ammo that I run through my guns. But, to give you an idea, using my cast .45acp bullets and using range pickup brass, my reloads cost under $55.00 per thousand. The cost of 10mm would be nearly the same if I reloaded for it.
Old November 5, 2011, 09:22 PM   #6
tom234

If you are considering reloading to save cost the first step would be to get aftermarket barrels for your Glocks or trade them off for handguns that can shoot lead. There is a considerable cost savings reloading lead bullets.
http://10xshooters.com/calculators/H...Calculator.htm
Old November 5, 2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Toxdoc

Using plated lead bullets, CCI primers, bullseye and my collects fired brass, I reload .45 ACP for 21 cents a cartridge. I've been buying S&B target ammo for 42 per cartridge.

With Hornady XTP bullets, CCI primers, AA9 and new Starline brass, 10mm costs me 41 cents per. That will drop by 16 cents per once I use up my new brass.
Old November 5, 2011, 09:41 PM   #8
mwsenoj

I had thought about shooting straight lead bullets, but I was a bit concerned about handling lead since my wife and I are considering starting to have children soon. I am not really in the know about the specifics of lead exposure but I would rather not take a chance.

Looking at a sloppy estimate, it is going to cost me about $150/1000 rounds which I can live with. That is assuming that I get 10 cycles out of my once fired brass. It would be a bit under $100 for 1k rounds with lead bullets.
Old November 6, 2011, 03:32 AM   #9
mwsenoj

And thanks by the way for the reloading calcs
Old November 6, 2011, 08:55 AM   #10
David Bachelder

My .45's cost me .26 cents each. I use Berry Plated bullets, 230 grain RN. I buy them from a local gunshop. I pay a little more, but it helps his business. I figure brass is free, I pick up a lot of it.
Old November 6, 2011, 10:46 AM   #11
tom234

Quote:
I had thought about shooting straight lead bullets, but I was a bit concerned about handling lead since my wife and I are considering starting to have children soon. I am not really in the know about the specifics of lead exposure but I would rather not take a chance.
If you have bought into the lead scare already then I wouldn't get into shooting or reloading for that matter just to be totally "safe". Who knows, maybe you'll get some lead into your Wheaties.
Old November 6, 2011, 12:01 PM   #12
mwsenoj

Well turn me on to the truth Tom
Old November 6, 2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Kevin Rohrer

Lead?! We Don't Need No Steenking Lead!

If you are overly concerned about lead exposure, wear medical-style rubber gloves that can be bought at a pharmacy. Otherwise try to avoid snacking, snorting, or smoking them and just wash your hands when finished reloading.

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!" --Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN
Old November 6, 2011, 03:59 PM   #14
farmerboy

dunt wurry bOuT et. eye pley wIt lead lotts An Neever huRt mee.
Old November 6, 2011, 04:20 PM   #15
mwsenoj

It looks like your daddy may not have taken the proper precautions =D
Old November 6, 2011, 06:22 PM   #16
jclayto

Agree, with lead in regards to birth defects.. just remember to wash your hands before touching your "gun" :~) Same goes for picking hot peppers..
Old November 6, 2011, 06:31 PM   #17
mwsenoj

"just remember to wash your hands before touching your "gun" :~) Same goes for picking hot peppers.." HA! I have first hand experience with that one (excuse the pun)
Old November 6, 2011, 07:50 PM   #18
orionengnr

Quote:
but I was a bit concerned about handling lead since my wife and I are considering starting to have children soon. I am not really in the know about the specifics of lead exposure but I would rather not take a chance.
The actual handling of lead bullets is a minimal concern. You will encounter far higher levels while shooting, sorting brass, tumbling brass, de-capping brass, etc.

I do not cast my own boolits, but buy lead by the 500-round box. My lead reloads average about $6 per 50 round box, for both 10mm and .45acp. In the real world, my 10mm loads are a bit pricier, as a) I lose a fair bit of brass and b) I cannot pick up range 10mm brass as I can with .45acp.

Last edited by orionengnr; November 6, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old November 6, 2011, 07:58 PM   #19
mwsenoj

Am I right in thinking that fully copper jacketed bullets will reduce lead levels drastically?
Old November 6, 2011, 08:03 PM   #20
chris in va

You don't need jacketed for your 45 Glock.
Old November 6, 2011, 08:06 PM   #21
mwsenoj

I have heard both, but the first time I went to an action pistol shoot several of the guys almost had a heart attack when I pulled out the unjacketed bullets I ended up using some Wolf ammo that my buddy had and it failed to fire at the last portion of the last scenario
Old November 6, 2011, 08:43 PM   #22
orionengnr

Quote:
Am I right in thinking that fully copper jacketed bullets will reduce lead levels drastically?
No.
You do not absorb lead by handling a lead projectile. The dust from fired rounds (primer residue), the residue from sorting and tumbling fired rounds (of whatever type) are far more worrisome.

Unless you or your wife/children chew on lead bullets, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Do some research. Handling lead rounds while reloading is a non-issue. Wash your hands when you are done. Period. End of story.

Shooting, sorting, tumbling, etc...the residue will get on your clothing and on your person. You can track it into the house and contaminate your furniture, etc.

Be more concerned about this aspect. Again, don't take my word for it...do your own research.