The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1
meatgrinder42

New to this

I'm new to the rifle reloading world, I've reloaded shotshells since I was 12 on my dad's old reloader.

I'm planning on reloading for my 1891 Argentine Mauser, 7.65 x 53. I've been wading through all the internet garble and I'm wondering. Is there a different reload for the 1909 Arg. and the 1891 Arg? I'm wondering because I know the 1909 had a better action on it and could handle hotter rounds.

Right now Hornady Customs 150 SP run great through the rifle so I was thinking of pulling one of the bullets and seeing what it's dia is since the Arg 7.65 is labeled with a .311-.313 bullet dia.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this rifle and round?
Old November 3, 2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

First rifle I bought many moons ago was a 7.65 Argentine cavalry carbine, bone stock. It does take a .311 bullet. H4895 and Ball C2 work very well in the cartridge, don't remember any specific loads tho. I'll check my old Ackley book tomorrow and some of my old Speer manuals, might have something there. Sure wish I'd kept that rifle, along with some others. Goatwhiskers

Edit: you do need to keep the loads mild, only two locking lugs and earlier metallurgy, not as strong as the M98.