The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2011, 09:39 AM   #26
Elkins45

I was given a small battery powered scale at a teachers conference. It was labeled with the Ohaus brand, a well-know and respected scale and balance maker.

I tried weighing a large paper clip and discovered that if I weighed it 10 times it gave me 10 different readings, a couple of which would indicate that it had negative mass. I'm 99% sure Ohaus didn't make this thing but they bought it from some Chinese scale factory. Maybe the same one that makes all those cheap digital scales i see being sold to reloaders. Now, I'm not saying that some of those scales aren't accurate and/or reliable. What I am saying is that your chances of getting one that isn't accurate or reliable is much greater than if you get a mechanical balance.

Electronic scales are like optics: you get what you pay for, and you rarely get more.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:12 AM   #27
daboone

I have 2 scales, an old oil dampened Redding and the 505. The Redding is the favorite. It every bit as accurate as the newer 505. Got it from my dad and the box's labeled price was $14.00. Seem to me easier to adjust and keep clean. Yes the oil creeps but doesn't get up to the V notches. No mater what scale you get cleaning and adjusting it is mandatory. Keeping it covered when not in use is too. Also keeping the scale on a shelf at eye level and using a level to assure it is level is important to consistent accuracy.
I also use a cheap Frankfort electronic scale for cast bullet weighing. It's not consistently accurate. It does not allow a 10 minute warm up and eats batteries in short order.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:31 AM   #28
chris in va

I have a $12 electronic caliper off Ebay. It's my understanding the majority of these are made at the same factory in China, so really no difference between the $30 and $10 models. They work well enough for my purposes, certainly not enough to justify a $75 version from Japan.
Old October 30, 2011, 01:02 PM   #29
Indi

Again Thanks for all the input. Keep firing guys!
Old October 30, 2011, 01:23 PM   #30
DRice.72

Dial calipers and micrometers are the only reloading tools I will not have to buy. I was a machinist for many years. I never liked digital anything. Its kinda like sights, start adding things like batteries you add potential problems. Get a good set of dial calipers. I like Mitutoyo. Very soils design and a good value for the money. In micrometers, I have Starrett. Very expensive, but they will last as long as the firearm your loading for. Buy digital anything, you will eventually have to buy another set.
Old October 30, 2011, 01:28 PM   #31
CPTMurdoc30

I have an Ohus 1010 (Marked Lyman) and I love it.

I also have a PACT BBKII and it is worthless as the load sensor went out in 3 months and it is the one part they DON'T warranty it at all.

I have some cheap Chinese digital calipers that I paid $20 for on Ebay. Just as accurate as $200 models.
Old October 31, 2011, 09:32 AM   #32
Don P

I use the Lee scale that came with my kit and the caliper is a SMIEC from my days of spinning wrenches for a living. Micrometers, 0"-1" to 5"-6" are all Central Tool as well as my inside mic's which are are of no use with regards to firearms