The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2011, 07:03 AM   #1
subsonicenthusiast

.223 subsoinc with 69g smk

Has any body been successful stabilizing this bullet subsonically? My research has shown that is has a stability factor of almost exactly 2.0 in a 1-7 twist at 1050fps.

btw, I own a TC contender with 22lr and .223 barrels and suppressors for both calibers. I regulary shoot 22lr suppressed out to 300 yards. So please, no snob remarks as to why I should shoot 22lr instead of .223 subsonic. I am moving to .223 subonic for a better b.c. and so I will stop leading up my suppressor.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, .... That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
Old October 11, 2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Jimro

hmm...well it won't take much powder at all to do what you want.

Quote:
Zak Smith's recipe:

Subsonic 223--

55gr flat base SP
3.0 - 4.0gr UNIQUE, depends on barrel and local environment
LC brass, WSR primer

Follow all prudent safety measures. These loads appear stable in 1:7.7 and 1:9 barrels.

I've found some references on the web through Google which refer to using faster powders for the 50-55gr bullets, such as Clays, N310, etc, but haven't tried any
I would start at 3 grains of Unique for your 69 grain pills, and work up slowly.

Love to hear your results!

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old October 11, 2011, 09:36 AM   #3
subsonicenthusiast

It will be 2 to 3 more weeks before I get my new barrel from MGM. It is 13" 1-7 twist with a 60moa scope base.

Engel chose to the use the 63smp sierra bullet. It is shorter and much easier to stabilize. However, I was hoping to use the 69smk for its higher bc and accuracy reputation.

As for powder, an experienced subsonic loader recommended Tigegroup on another forum. Prior to reading his post, I was planning on Trailboss.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, .... That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
Old October 11, 2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Jimro

My limited experience with loading pistol powders into rifle cartridges is basically summed up as this "you can pretty much use whatever pistol powder you have on hand" as the amounts being used are not going to generate enough pressure to be dangerous. However, a bulky powder like Red Dot helps you avoid any potential double charges. However, pistol powders build up into dangerous pressure range pretty quickly so always work up slowly.

And the 60 grain SSS round from Aquila generally stabilizes with a 1:12 twist just fine (1:16 is iffy), so I *think* you will be ok with the 1:7 on the 69 SMK.

Jimro

Old October 11, 2011, 06:36 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

Trail Boss would be worth a try. It is also a very clean burning powder. I have used it for experimenting with Savage model 12. It shot decent groups at 100 yards, and was pretty quiet. I was fire forming some brass.
Old October 12, 2011, 06:22 AM   #6
subsonicenthusiast

Finding the right bullet is my biggest issue now. Unless I find something better, I'll be using the 63g smp that Engel uses. The last thing I want is a baffle strike. I was just hoping for a better bc.

I have an older reloading book "The Complete Reloading Manuel for the .223 Remington" that has subsonic loads using Accurate's s1250 powder. One of the loads is a Hdy 75 hpbt bullets (4.5 grains of powder 1052 fps 2.255 length). I am convinced that the 75 gr Hornady bullet will not stabilize in a 1-7 twist at 1052 fps.
btw I have been getting my stabilization information from www.jbmballistics.com
Old October 12, 2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Jimro

Take the can off when you do your load workup, if you see keyholing then you know it isn't stabilized. You would be surprised at how some bullets perform even at slow speeds, the formulas are useful in in telling you when you are approaching the edge of stability, but cannot tell you if you will pass it with your particular rifle.

Jimro

Old October 12, 2011, 12:16 PM   #8
subsonicenthusiast

Yeh, I plan on having a round worked up before I even thread the barrel. I also plan on shooting it in several different temperatures before threading the barrel. I sure hope the 69smk works out.

I not planning on magnum primers with the TrailBoss because I've read they are not necessary. However, I don't know about that with Titegroup.
Old October 13, 2011, 02:55 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

I doubt that mag primers would be needed for Titegroup. I Load cast bullets in .41 mag with it. I have used standad LPP without problems. I have shot them in weather as cold as 12 degrees farenheight, and as hot as 109 degrees farenhight with no problems. All of the .223 Loads I have used in rifles I used standard small pistol primers with no problems.(note that I use small pistol primers with Trail Boss loads.) Rifle Powders get rifle primers.

Last edited by m&p45acp10+1; October 14, 2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old October 14, 2011, 08:13 AM   #10
MADISON

Stabalizing a Subsonic

My "city load" for a 223 using a 55 grain bullet is
5.6 grains of UNIQUE.
It works excellent at 35 yards. I have not tried it at longer ranges.