The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 23, 2011, 07:16 PM   #26
Colvin

And why is ball often restricted in hunting? Because it's inhumane. Just a matter of who thinks what is worse.
Old September 23, 2011, 10:41 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

Quote:
And why is ball often restricted in hunting? Because it's inhumane. Just a matter of who thinks what is worse
Indeed.

....But Deer, Elk, Antelope, Squirrels, Rabbits, etc. usually don't have field hospitals and evac units...
Old September 23, 2011, 10:53 PM   #28
Lawmaker

But here is the million dollar law suit question. Would an ambulance chaser attorney representing someone you shot in SD sue you for using inhuman ammunition? Or ammo intended to cause unnecessary damage.
Old September 24, 2011, 07:03 AM   #29
Uncle Buck

Quote:
I carry anti-social rounds in both of my carry guns.

Perhaps they are in need of therapy to properly become socialized.

Stressfire: Coffee through the nose at 7:00 AM is not funny! Now I have to clean my keyboard.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:08 AM   #30
Spats McGee
Staff

I know that this is a discussion of hollowpoints and not reloads, but the legal issues are largely the same. An Archive Regarding Reloads and Self-Defense might be of some interest to those posting in and following this thread.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old September 24, 2011, 09:45 AM   #31
Aguila Blanca

Spats, the issue isn't really the same. NJ state law, for example, specifically bans the carry of HP ammo in a self-defense handgun. I realize that's an academic point since carry permits are almost impossible to obtain in NJ, but an outright prohibition under state law is quite a different issue from potentially being portrayed as someone using intentionally "evil" ammunition just because you roll your own.
Old September 24, 2011, 09:57 AM   #32
graysmoke

No hollow point restrictions in Florida.
Old September 24, 2011, 10:30 AM   #33
C0untZer0

I know this topic comes up in various threads - the concern of being sued in the aftermath of a shooting, and how the type of ammo or the name of the ammo or the name of the firearm or any inscriptions on it is going to give lawyers the opportunity to sue you.

I think it has to be balanced. Getting a Punisher deathhead backplate for your Glock is probably a bad idea, inscribing "Kill em all & Let God sort em out" on the slide of your pistol is not prudent. But worrying about getting sued to the extent that you don't put effective asmmunition in your firearm is a mistake IMO.

If I got sued in the aftermath of a shooting and even had to go through bankruptcy - my life would be difficult but the most important thing is I would be alive.

There are things that can make life more difficult than being financially ruined. Being paralyzed as the result of being shot is one of them... so again, I would say, being sued into bankruptcy is a difficult thing - but it's not THE most difficult thing that you could possibly face.
Old September 24, 2011, 12:50 PM   #34
Spats McGee
Staff

AB, perhaps "overlapping issues" would have been better phrasing. They're not identical issues, but the question "What about hollowpoints?" often comes up in the threads on reloads.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old September 24, 2011, 01:00 PM   #35
manta49

Don't know about US but in the UK they are only allowed to be used by the police and in the humane destruction of animals.
They are not allowed to be used in pistols by civilians.
Old September 24, 2011, 01:53 PM   #36
heyjoe

new york, state or city, does not ban the use of hollow point bullets. the information in the original post is incorrect.
Old September 25, 2011, 02:03 PM   #37
Lawmaker

FMJ is still effective. It just might over penetrate.

Tags
hollow points , new york , restrictions