The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 22, 2011, 04:57 PM   #26
Pahoo

Quote:
Its sad they don't teach critical thinking anymore.
As best we can, we do but I wish there was in Instructor's course that we would have to test on. We have three basic requirements or events that we must attend or participate in. The IHEA has a good training program. Sadly, many of our instructors know very little about firearms. Not picking on anyone and there are many good ones, just see the shortfalls. .. :
Quote:
That shot at the pheasant was a bad shot because you were downrange even if the bird was going up.
Now, tell that to a 14yr. old who just went out with his buddies and they each have two birds and you haven't even got a shot off. We talk about this as well. ...
Quote:
I hope you don't grade on the curve, Mr. Instructor! Fail the bums that aren't safe!
We do not grade on a curve and you either pass the written test or you struggle through it. This same test, is given to 11yr. olds just starting out and seasoned adults, looking to get their certificate as a requirement to hunt in Colorado. We help the young ones, on a one to one basis and as long as the attitude and understanding is there, they pass.

Rarely; We don't fail anyone but have "invited" them to retake the entire 12hr. class. They do not get their certificate either... ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 22, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old September 23, 2011, 04:04 PM   #27
markj

Quote:
a given that the hunters would have already scanned their respective fields of fire and seen you inside the fof,
If this is for me, I was on the other side of the ridge so they could not see me till I crested that ridge holding the pheasa but they were 400 yards away headed the other way so they just went off and left a wounded bird, which is a no no. Didint even send a dog after it.

Now I have shot a pheas in flight saw one feather move kept my eye on him till he folded waaaay over there like 1/2 mile. A walk and some looking found him, one number 6 shot in its heart.

Their shot wasnt even close to me so I dont understand why it would be a bad shot. I seen hunters take worse. Is how I was shot the first time. a pheas flushed close to me a guy shot it and me...ouchie that hurts