The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2011, 01:25 AM   #1
William_IV

Think I think I got the wrong dies for my progressive press

Hello anyone familiar with redding dies? Recently I purchased a deluxe die set for .223 these are type A dies. The problem is that the seater die seats and crimps in one operation, however i have a dillon xl650 press and from what i can tell i need to have a seater, and a separate crimp die in my last station. Any suggestions? I feel like i'm out some money on the dies as they will not work correctly in my press, I don't think they were meant for progressives. My set came with a full length sizer, a neck sizer and a seating die. I think the only thing that will work correctly will be the full length sizer.

Anyone able to help with the correct die set-up? I really like redding dies but have a hard time figuring out their parts.

I'm just setting up my press to reload rifle for the first time, i've got lots of experience loading pistol but pretty new to rifle loads.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!
Old September 20, 2011, 03:05 AM   #2
Edward429451

You should be able to use your dies. You will have to get a couple extra dies too. You put the full length sizer at station one which decaps also, then you will need a Dillon powder die, and a conversion kit for your xl650 which will include the shell holder plate and the correct powder die insert.

The seating die can be adjusted to only seat the bullet and not crimp it. You can easily install an after market crimp die of your choice for the last station on your 650 to crimp in a separate step or not at all.
Old September 20, 2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Shootest

Exactly what Ed said. ^
Also, I find no need to crimp the 223, and I would strongly suggest a powder check be use in station 3, and it takes some time for the powder to fill through the small neck of the 223 so a slight pause at the top of the stroke would be wise.