The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 4, 2011, 05:45 PM   #26
ZVP

Fillers?

I have noticed that some revolvers like fillers and others don't. in my 2 '58Remmies, the long one likes a filler, the 5 1/2" dosen't. Go figgure? No reason for sure! My Brasser .44 likes filler and the groups really shrink when I use filler and a Wad, so that's what I use.
In fact I use wads in all my guns cause I am terrified of a chainfire! Why take chances? For a lousy $9.00 per 100?
I just try each BP revolver over a rest, for accuracy and then use filler accordinglly.
ZVP
Old September 4, 2011, 07:35 PM   #27
Joe the Redneck

I never really believed the idea of a chain fire being caused from the front. I could see it if a cap fell off a nipple during recoil. The flash from a cap hits the exposed nipple and then bad things are happening.

Never seen it happen, Never knew anyone who saw it happen.

I just load powder, oversized lead ball, and grease over the chamber. Just a bit. More to keep humidity out and act as a lube for the forcing cone. May not do any realy good, but never saw any reason to shoot dry.

I consider this a "what works for you" kind of thing,
Old September 4, 2011, 09:58 PM   #28
Hardy

Chainfires come from the front. Had one. Didn't get hurt but it scared me. If the ball does not shave lead when loaded--fire can jump inside the next chambers. I don't remember if my bullets were exactly right diameter at the time (1974) but I have been told to always use a wad or grease. And I have also been told that if the ball shaves lead into a little ring it won't chain fire. I use wads anyway
Old September 4, 2011, 11:59 PM   #29
Hawg

Quote:
I have also been told that if the ball shaves lead into a little ring it won't chain fire.
Mine will. Granted it's the only one I ever saw do it but I cant make it chain from the rear.
Old September 5, 2011, 08:11 AM   #30
zullo74

Hardy,

Chain fires CAN come from the front, but I am convinced that MOST come from the rear.
Old September 5, 2011, 09:09 AM   #31
Doc Hoy

Zullo +1

I have had one chain fire in my life and I think it was the result of a pooring fitting cap.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old September 5, 2011, 10:30 AM   #32
Noz

I've had 4 chain fires, all of which came from the front. Poor choice of alloy on my part. Bullets werre not swaging properly.
Old September 7, 2011, 08:27 AM   #33
Lee McNelly

loose fitting ball or conical

by the time that your trying to get them into the cylinder if they are loose how does one get rid of them

1 the chamber is already charged fire it

2 blow it out

3 pull it out

4 ?