The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2001, 06:04 PM   #1
handgun357

What do you do when you load a round with cap and projectile, but no powder?
I have always been careful not to let my powder measure get too low before I fill it, but this time, I was not careful enough. Can I save the brass or do I get rid of the rounds completely?

[Edited by handgun357 on 01-26-2001 at 06:32 PM]
Old January 26, 2001, 06:24 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Kinetic bullet puller!!!!! Looks like a hammer If you don't have one, go to http://www.cabelas.com or http://www.midwayusa.com and order yourself one. Next day it if you are really antsy for those cases!!

Actually, while you're at it, get me one too. I've recently relocated my reloading setup and that's one of the things I haven't picked up yet. Bad rounds go in a little jar for now!
Old January 26, 2001, 07:18 PM   #3
Cheapo

For only ten rounds (are you *sure* that's all?), if they are loaded with jacketed bullets you can hold them by the base, place the case neck on a smooth anvil-type surface, and gently hammer on the neck until it opens up enough to unplug the bullet.

Resize w/o a decapper and the case is good to go. If done right, the bullet will be okay, too.

But before you do that, "fire" three of them (safely) to check if your neck tension is okay. Except for really small cases smaller than .38 Special, the primer by itself should not lodge the bullet in the throat. My dud in .30-06 didn't even budge the bullet, and I tried it in .357 after learning that my buddy's Lee 1000 progressive would jam the powder measure when using 296. 'nuther dud, but his expander was too big and the bullet went into the forcing cone. Loaded with my dies for a follow-up experiment, there was no such event!

The field expedient measure will get you "back on the road" until the bullet puller arrives.
Old January 26, 2001, 07:55 PM   #4
chink

Use them as a cheap snap cap replacement? just make sure you know that they really have not powder and you mark them as such
Old January 26, 2001, 08:38 PM   #5
DialONE911

With live primers they aren't snap cap replacements.
Old January 26, 2001, 10:18 PM   #6
chink

Sorry had a brain fart forgot about the primers.

which begs the question, how big of a bang do you get with live primers no powder and a bullet?
Old January 26, 2001, 10:38 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

I have done indoor ten meter target shooting, living room, with AR. using primer and .22 pellets. Quite a bit of zing and accuracy good enough to have house matches.

I have had .38spec stick in forcing cone. Have had .45 stick well into the barrel.

All in all, I think it be a not good idea to try to fire them. Pull the bullets of all that you are shure are limp and several from before those just to be safe.

Interestingly enough, I have had more factory milspec rounds than handloads stick in barrel.

Sam...iffen it ain't broke yet, let me try it.
Old January 26, 2001, 11:05 PM   #8
handgun357

Thanks for the info guys..............
Happy Shooting.........
Old January 26, 2001, 11:08 PM   #9
handgun357

I ordered the kinetic puller from Cabelas.......
Thanks again...........
Old January 27, 2001, 01:55 AM   #10
Karsten

Chink, Come on...the primer alone will send the Bullet a good way dowm a tight barrel. You know it could be deadly even more so with out the resitance of the barrel. Pull them apart. resize the case W/O the decapper and be more careful next time.
I am not prefect, believe me. I loaded 50 45 ACP that were questionable. I used a kinetic hammer for days...500 rounds. Squib or no Squib that is the question. A bullet half way down the barrel is and will be scary.

Geez, why don't we take up golf.....NOT!!!!!
Old January 28, 2001, 02:58 PM   #11
PDshooter

Well you could just take the 10 duds and toss them into a deep enough pond, river!or whatever?If your going to use them as SNAP caps, I would drill a hole in the case. Just for I.D ! I've had primer go off after the 3 or 4th dry firing!
Old January 28, 2001, 03:42 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

I'm assuming you mean you've had the primer fall out or puncture after the 3rd or 4th firing. If it doesn't go off from the first firing, then you need to see a good smithy.
Old January 31, 2001, 09:15 AM   #13
fgerardij

Those kinetic bullet pullers work incredibly well! Take it from a guy who recently pulled 300 .45 acp bullets with one! (Don't ask, long story )

I have the RCBS and it does a great job. One caveat I found was that due to the open endcap that screws on (has a hole in it), it shot powder out all over the place as the bullet released. To remedy, I simply put a piece of tape over the hole. Before putting the tape on, I made it "non-sticky" so the powder wouldn't stick to it. Now the powder stays in the bullet puller

fgerardij
Old January 31, 2001, 04:04 PM   #14
handgun357

The kinetic bullet puller worked just great.
I only had 4 rounds without powder, but I pulled 32 rounds apart. All the ones in that box. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks again........
Old January 31, 2001, 06:34 PM   #15
JerryM

A problem that many of us have had at one time or another. Get your procedure down so that you have the emnpty, primed cases on one side of the measure and when you throw the charge put the case it in a block on the other side of the measure. Then before you seat any bullets take a flashlight and run it over each case to confirm that you have charged the case and haven't thrown a double charge. This will save you some headaches. Jerry