The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 15, 2011, 04:21 PM   #1
BUFF

Pigman

Anybody watch "Pigman the series"? Those guys are from my old stomping grounds and get into a lot of pigs. I enjoy the show because they're not just sitting around whispering in a blind and they're a little more upbeat than most hunting shows. Any other fans?
Old August 15, 2011, 04:50 PM   #2
FrontSight

I must be living in a bubble lately! What is it on, and when? I'm guessing the Outdoor Channel?
Old August 15, 2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Hog Buster

Big, fast talking, egotistical B.S.er with a caricature of a hog tattooed on his arm. One look at Oink Boy’s show turned me off.
Old August 18, 2011, 07:22 PM   #4
BUFF

^Guess you're not a fan of Ted Nugent either?

Sometimes I have to put it on "Mute".

I wonder if a lot of that is in an effort to entertain for the TV.
Old August 18, 2011, 07:37 PM   #5
M.O.A.

im not a fan of ted but i do like the pigman good show
Old August 18, 2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Hog Buster

BUFF

You got that right!.... I’m not impressed with loudmouthed know-it-alls that cover their inadequacies and feed their egos with streams of bovine scat just to impress neophytes.
Old August 21, 2011, 12:02 PM   #7
BUFF

So back to firearms post...

Do you think that the sponsors privide them with the fireams or do these TV guys pony up the money? They shoot Howas and some AR platforms. I wish I could afford some of the guns they're slinging lead with. I figure Hornady gives em bullets the way they "church" em up on the show.
Old August 21, 2011, 12:21 PM   #8
M.O.A.

i would say if they dont get them free they get a real good deal on them
Old August 21, 2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Hog Buster

I’ve filmed a quite a few hunting and fishing shows in the past. Sponsors always provided their products to be used on these shows. Boats, motors, vehicles, guns and such weren’t gifts, only loaners for the show and at some point had to be returned. Shells, baits or any consumables were also supplied in limited quantities, but of course not returned.

It’s probably the same today as it was then, except for the overabundance of outdoor shows now. I would expect that not everyone with a video camera, who fancies himself as outdoor cinematographer, gets sponsored easily.

The last fishing show I videotaped had everything, boat, motor, truck, tackle, rods, reels, food, gas, etc. furnished by the sponsors. The only thing we furnished was camera, tape, time and BS....
Old August 21, 2011, 01:22 PM   #10
BUFF

Man..I need to get in on that! New toys to play with. I can BS with the best of them too. I'll keep the egotastical loud-mouthing to a minimum. Promise. I know a lot of rednecks too. It'd be entertaining.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:02 PM   #11
Hog Buster

The content of outdoor shows have changed over the years. In the past their subject was mostly directed towards the hunt, or fishing trip. The majority of the show was directed at that activity. Now most are just infomercials with most of the activity directed at sponsors products being used or displayed. Touted to be the best available, many of these are of dubious benefit.

Only on the higher quality shows is the hunting or fishing activity paramount in the time allotted. Many others are filled with questionable tips about using some sponsored product, extolling the virtues of where the trip is taking place, or some such. Little action, lots of talk.

Filming the actual hunt is a bit harder than filming wide vistas of the area or a couple of guys talking about it. It involves skill, knowledge, patience and other attributes that many of today's shows producers don’t possess. Consequently you get many cut-ins, cutaways, travel shots, panoramic views, product hype, talking heads and very little of the chase and its climax.

Last edited by Hog Buster; August 21, 2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old August 21, 2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Daryl

I got burned out on hunting shows. Even when I found one that was interesting, the amount of advertizing turned me off.

I realize they're there to make money, but they've gotten to the point of being nothing more than a big advertizement.

I'd rather go shoot gophers in the back yard.

Daryl
Old August 21, 2011, 10:09 PM   #13
M.O.A.

i want to shoot gophers to but none around here just ground hogs and squirrels
Old August 22, 2011, 08:01 AM   #14
rickyrick

I hate hunting shows because you get the preview of whats gonna happen after the commercial, then you get the post-commercial recap then another pre-commercial preview. And then you end up with only five minutes of content ending with the bear, pig or whatever running 200 yards with an arrow lodged in its kidney.
Old August 22, 2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Keg

I like Pigman the Series.....The kids like it to..and they are our future......
Old August 22, 2011, 11:14 AM   #16
Hog Buster

One last comment on the “Pigman”.

The first time I saw the opening to the show I about busted a gut laughing. There’s a dead hog lying on a blacktop road. Road kill or illegally shot there? Buzzard circles and someone starts dragging off hog. Obviously in a state of decay, otherwise no buzzard. Drags pig for some distance, down road, railroad tracks, to where ever. Looks like the beginning of a B grade horror movie......

Oh well, to each his own..... Enjoy....
Old August 23, 2011, 08:04 AM   #17
mquail

Quote:
I hate hunting shows because you get the preview of whats gonna happen after the commercial, then you get the post-commercial recap then another pre-commercial preview. And then you end up with only five minutes of content ending with the bear, pig or whatever running 200 yards with an arrow lodged in its kidney.
Maybe this is what the producers of those hunting shows need to hear. I rarely can watch one from the beginning to the end. I usually end up turning it off or falling asleep after the first 10 minutes.
Old August 23, 2011, 11:41 AM   #18
Hog Buster

Yeah, the names of some of these shows are interesting too. “Quail Killers”, “The Blood Letters”, “Death in the Woods”, “Mallard Murderers”. “Killing and Killing”, The Snipe Snipers”, Wild Hog Slaughter”, “Woodland Thugs”, and on and on, ad nauseum. From their titles it makes you think it’s all about blood and guts, not hunting.
Old August 24, 2011, 07:51 PM   #19
Cowboy_mo

Best way to view hunting shows is:

Tivo......... the one's I like to watch, and watch the tapes so I can fast forward to the actual show. I watched Pigman a few times, but didn't put it on my Tivo list.

IMO the best hunting show on TV for North America is "Do it yourself adventures". These guys only hunt public lands that are available to all of us. The only downside, is that they usually spend 10-14 days for a hunt and personally I can't take that much time off from work. But, it is nice to know that a "normal" guy can still find affordable hunts.