The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 8, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1
fishblade2

best match gun and accessories

Hey guys, I would love to get a match gun and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a savage .308 caliber, but I need to know what stock, trigger, and barrel to put on it along with opinions on spotting scopes, rangefinders, and optics for sure! With any advice don't limit it to money. I am planning on saving up for it but I want to know all the best options out there and none to be left out due to the prices.. Also I would like to for optics alone not only the best scopes around but the best one for a reasonable price so I can put it on another one of my guns that isn't a match gun. Thanks for any comments!
Old August 19, 2011, 11:08 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. The type of match you're interested in, matters. Not all matches allow optics either. Palma, for example, does not. Mind you, Palma matches are normally shot with custom made, heavy barreled, single shot, iron sighted, rifles.
NRA long range matches are different again. Still heavy barrels, but some allow optics. Have a look here. There's something for everybody. http://www.nrahq.org/compete/index.asp
Savage does make match grade rifles that are suitable for both right out of the box. Just remember that the ammo is as important as the rifle. If you're not reloading, you'll have to try a box of as many brands of match grade ammo as you can to find the ammo any rifle shoots best. Factory match grade ammo isn't cheap either. Reloading helps.