The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2011, 02:55 AM   #1
Brett1961

Scales & Other Accessories

I am putting together my list of items to purchase and am looking for recommendations concerning the scales and other accessories.

Scales; I want electric. I just don't like or want the hassle of traditional weight and balance scales. I want a good quality until that will last. I have seen a Frankford Arsenal unit that is quite small and looks neat; although I found a negative review on Amazon.com

Other items I am looking to buy are a case tumbler, all the usual bits and pieces that one needs to get started.

What is the view on Frankford Arsenal gear?

Thanks
Old August 14, 2011, 05:38 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

I wanna be taller

Blah blah blah RCBS 505 or Dillon Eliminator, Lyman or RCBS Scale Weight Check set.

Buy best buy once, or 'continue your learning' through your wallet; know what I mean?
Old August 14, 2011, 05:39 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

vibratory case cleaner

The small Dillon; use corn-cob media intended for case cleaning, and a capfull of Dillon Rapid Polish.
Old August 14, 2011, 05:41 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

LEE chamfer tool.
LEE primer pocket cleaner.
Safety glasses.
Old August 14, 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Shootest

Go ahead and buy an digital scale, then you will need a beam to check it with. The Dillon scale is the best value out there, a well made, reliable scale at a good price.
As far as tumblers go I have had good luck with Frankford Arsenal, but others have not. The Dillon is Probably the best, but hard on the wallet.
Old August 14, 2011, 09:12 AM   #6
TXGunNut

I have an older Frankford Arsenal vibratory cleaner that has served me well, also have a gadget from Dillon that removes the media fom the cases, noisey and dusty but it works as advertised.
I've gotten satisfactory results from a couple of PACT scales over the years but they're fussy and I've learned to keep my balance beam scale around for when they're having a bad day. When I moved up to an RCBS ChargeMaster it worked so well I began to wonder if there were better standalone scales out there, I think I'd go with WESHOOT2's recommendations of the RCBS and Dillon models. If you run across a balance beam scale I'd add it to your collection, it will come in handy someday.
I've used Dillon's polish and now use Hornady's, both work very well if used as directed.
If you don't wear impact resistant eyeglasses I'd strongly second WESHOOT2's endorsement of safety glasses. I've spent thousands of hours at my bench and never needed them but won't sit down there without them. Moot point these days, can't tell what's going on without them.
Frankford Arsenal seems to be a company that markets tools built by other companies. That's not a bad thing, actually quite common these days. I've always been happy with their products but they seem to change vendors often. Kind of hard to give a blanket endorsement of everything they sell but I'll buy their brand before one I don't recognize. I suspect Midway owns the Frankford Arsenal brand or they're both under the Battenfield umbrella.
I've had excellent service from every tool I've purchased from Dillon but haven't made many purchases from them recently, no need to upgrade or replace the items I have. They manufacture many of the items they sell but they also market items from outside vendors.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:44 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

I've needed mine

Admittedly I've been wearing glasses since 1965, but at my benches I've had primers shoot out, springs let go, press parts explode, etc.

I will NOT touch anything other than paper without eyewear, not handling guns or ammo, not cleaning guns or equipment, not nuthin'.

Stuff flies into my lenses on a regular (but not often) basis, and I only have two eyeballs.

Safety glasses are mandatory for visitors to my shop; mandatory. I keep numerous sets available.

I'm pretty emphatic about this subject.