The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2011, 10:22 PM   #26
mehavey

I leafed through my Sierra, Nosler, Speer & Lyman books looking for RL-17 and the 260Rem. They all like RL19, but they also are running w/ the better part of another foot of barrel.

That said, ALLIANT does list RL-17 for the 260:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...1&bulletid=115

Notwithstanding what Alliant tells us, QuickLoad tells me to stay at least a grain under their listed Max if you want to save your brass.
Old July 31, 2011, 12:18 PM   #27
603Country

Thanks once again, mehavey. I had gone straight to the Lyman book to see what it suggested on Reloader 17, and they didn't show it and didn't even have it listed in their powder section of the book. That's the newest Lyman book (I think), so that powder must be relatively new on the market. I'll look at the Alliant info, get a pound of R17, and take Quickload's advice on max powder charge. I'd like this brass to last a while.
Old August 15, 2011, 05:03 PM   #28
jimbob86

Ruger Frontier 7-08 velocities

Well, we did a little shooting this weekend in Colorado....... and I got the Chrony out ....

It takes 38 grains of IMR 4064 behind a 139 gr Hornady soft point to make 2400 f/sec in my Frontier ...... 40 gets around 2550........ very light recoil and less muzzle blast than the 140 grain Remington factory loads I shot earlier.

I did not have a bench to shoot off of, so I don't have a group size to brag about, but I had no problem hitting a 3" target repeatedly at 100 yards from a sitting position.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old August 15, 2011, 09:22 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

4064 is a special and really good powder in some unexpected situations. You were getting better ballistic efficiency than the Remington factory load. I think that happens because the factories have some tendency to lean a little toward slower, less efficient powders to keep peak pressure down for liability reasons, but there's a cost in muzzle blast and recoil when they take that philosophy too far.
NRA Patron Member
Old August 15, 2011, 09:32 PM   #30
jimbob86

In defense of factory ammo, they have to make a "one size fits all" cartridge: it has to work well in a 16 1/2" barrel or a 26" barrel...... I was suprised to get 2650 out of factory loads...... I have another grain or so to play with to try to equal factory performance, but as max MV is not the object of the excercise, I will probably not do that........ I wanted a light recoiling round in a youth sized gun, delivering at least 30/30 level energy ....... Challenge Accepted, Challenge Met, provided I can get it to group well ...... should not be a problem.

http://nefirearm.com/