The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Crankgrinder

lead for copper?

is it alright to use a lead bullet instead of a copper jacketed one of similar weight in the same load, powder, primer, case and all?
Old August 9, 2011, 06:56 PM   #2
engineermike

It sure is...
Old August 9, 2011, 06:58 PM   #3
dunerjeff

to load lead bullets you have to reduce powder a bit, otherwise you use everything the same as with copper jacket bullets.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Ksmoker

JMO

If you are shooting a semi-auto & you slow them down a little, take a few & try them out to make sure your gun cycles OK. I shoot quite a bit of lead in my Glock & always do that.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Wag

Yeah, I wouldn't go max load right away if at all.

--Wag--
Old August 9, 2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Crankgrinder

thanx folks. Dont want to be just "pretty sure" about something and do it anyway. Better to ask
Old August 9, 2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Ideal Tool

"better to ask"...Better yet is looking up this information in a good reloading manual.
Old August 9, 2011, 10:58 PM   #8
kealil

Ideal Tool: "better to ask"...Better yet is looking up this information in a good reloading manual.

++1+
Old August 10, 2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Crankgrinder

yes we know it is best to read the manual. However, there are different manuals that state different load specs as far as powder, pressure and so forth, and some seem to contradict others probably because different guns were used to collect the data and i do not have a manual that talks about substituting a lead bullet for a copper one.
Old August 10, 2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Jim243

Is this for pistol or rifle? If pistol, keep your load under 1,200 fps or you will lead up your barrel too much. Also depends on hardness of your bullets. And a leaded barrel is hell to clean. Also lead bullets are shot with lighter loads than copper, because they provide for less friction in the barrel than copper.

Jim
Old August 10, 2011, 09:58 PM   #11
overkill0084

What does your book say?
Lead bullets and jacketed bullets are close but not equal where powder charges are concerned.
Is there overlap? Yes.
Are all the charges identical? No.
There may be such a thing as too much loading data, but you will have filled a good sized room with books before you reach that point.
Consider purchasing Lyman's 49th edition or the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.
Old August 10, 2011, 11:13 PM   #12
maillemaker

I think you really need to consult a loading manual.

My understanding is that lead bullets are only good up to certain velocities, which can be extended somewhat by using a gas check.

So this would mean that depending on velocity, you may not be able to simply substitute lead bullets for jacketed bullets with all else being equal.

The safest bet is to fine a recent loading handbook and start at the lowest recommended charge and work your way up.

Steve
Old August 11, 2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Crankgrinder

i would like to buy the lyman pistol & revolver book. it looks like a good one to have. The loads i am thinking of substituting are a 9 mm 125 gr jacketed bullet which calls for start grain of 8.2 blue dot powder for which i may use a 124 gr lead bullet instead. not .357 or anything like that which i use harder bullets for anyway. The .38 special data i have already lists loads for blue dot and power pistol powder for the type and weight of bullets i intend to use so i wont need to change anything there. These loads are coming from the lee book.
Old August 11, 2011, 06:50 PM   #14
SurplusShooter

You will have to use a smaller charge of faster burning powder but everything else is the same.
Old August 11, 2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Edward429451

The short answer is no. The reason for that is that it is a different bullet and data for a more specifically similar bullet than a jacketed one is needed. It is true that is may be possible to extrapolate a start charge using this method, but one would certainly have to have a modicum of experiance in reloading and have a healthy amount of common sense at the same time.

We live in the age of the lazy man and everyone likes the shortcuts. Therein lies the danger. If you become too complacent and neglect some associated details then you could easily blow your gun up. Be careful, or better yet, buy the manual.

Last edited by Edward429451; August 11, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old August 11, 2011, 07:35 PM   #16
TXGunNut

The answer to this question and dozens more that you haven't thought to ask are in any good loading manual.
As Ed said the short answer is no. I have cast boolit loads and jacketed bullet loads and they are often quite different, at least I treat them that way.
Old August 11, 2011, 08:26 PM   #17
oneounceload

the simple answer is RTFM

Why are you asking anonymous people on the errornet, as opposed to verifying with published data??

Do you want to earn the Darwin Award?

USE PUBLISHED DATA!..........
Old August 11, 2011, 09:33 PM   #18
Crankgrinder

asking as opposed to? did it ever cross your mind maybe i already have read several manuals but thought id ask if someone had done this as i have no doubt they have? is there a darwin award for leading a barrel and having to clean it?
Old August 11, 2011, 09:40 PM   #19
TXGunNut

did it ever cross your mind maybe i already have read several manuals...Crank

Honestly? No.
Old August 11, 2011, 09:48 PM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

Using a lead bullet with the same charge as a jacketed bullet may be unsafe, particularly in a revolver. That's because the softer lead bullet can be upset by the pressure to fill the forcing cone, making it pretty fat and harder to start into the rifling. I believe this is the reason Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton both reported getting higher pressure from lead bullet loads when they were running maximum loads.

With light loads, the opposite is often true because the lead offers less resistance to being pushed into the rifling when its not being too grossly distorted, so pressure doesn't build as high doing it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 11, 2011, 11:21 PM   #21
Stick_man

There have been many great points brought up so far, the best one is definitely to consult published data. However, in a revolver, you are pretty safe shooting lead at the same velocity as jacketed, but the powder charges will be different. It has been said that anything over 1200 fps in a revolver (without a gas check) will cause severe leading. I beg to differ on that. I have seen severe leading occur at 900 fps. I have also seen it occur at 1500 fps. The key is FIT even moreso than bullet hardness. You can take near pure lead (and without gas check) up to 1100 or 1200 fps without any leading if the bullet is properly sized for YOUR gun. You can also take an extremely hard cast bullet and get leading at those same velocities if fit is not good. With a properly fit, gas checked, soft cast bullet, you can achieve 1600 fps (maybe higher) without any discernable leading. They make great hunting bullets because they are soft enough to expand yet strong enough to get to the vitals without going to pieces.

Getting back to the OP, I would not recommend using the same powder charges for both jacketed and cast bullets.
Old August 12, 2011, 06:12 PM   #22
dwhite

A little off topic but BlueDot with lead bullets is bad Juju. Won't damage anything but you're not going to run high enough pressure to burn clean.

I've never gotten good performance with lead bullets with BlueDot. Always seemed to lead the barrel pretty heavily.

All the Best,
D. White
Old August 12, 2011, 06:25 PM   #23
farmerboy

Some say yes others say no but say lead I'n Glock pistols????
Old August 12, 2011, 06:55 PM   #24
Crankgrinder

bad juju...haha havent heard that in a while. and unclenick always pops up with good stuff. im glad to hear of someone elses experience with bluedot. maybe ill read the manuals again tonight and maybe try a different powder. as for the bullet swap i come to conclusion it may not be a good idea so far. i may select a powder for velocity/pressure/etc and try with a couple rounds and check everything a few times in the future. For now i think ill find a proper load for cast bullets and get that powder to start with.
Old August 12, 2011, 06:59 PM   #25
Crankgrinder

....and i do not own any glocks. Always head how great they were, used by cops and military and indestructible and filled with sand and shooting underwater and all that, but buying a gun for me is always a bit like finding a woman... and the glock does not make my heart beat faster. My favorites so far have been rugergp100 and sp101 both stainless and a beretta 9 that feels so good to shoot.