The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 8, 2011, 08:08 PM   #1
bswiv

Worth looking at this.......

This is a article from the Univ. of Florida Forest Stewardship Newsletter.

http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/Extension/FFSnl/ffsnl182.pdf

I know we talk coyotes on here a lot but I don't know if we in the Southeast understand how IMPORTANT it may actually be for us to work on them.

Could be that just as a lot of you spend time on stands, food plots and feeders to improve your herd it could be that it is time that coyote killing is added to the list of chores for the average hunt club?

As someone explained the math to me: 6 coyotes on a 3000 acre lease eating one deer apease every two months adds up to 38 deer a year.....38 dear off of a 3000 acres lease here in Fl. is A LOT OF DEER to let get eaten by coyotes.
Old August 8, 2011, 09:27 PM   #2
shortwave

Funny you should start this thread bswiv...

Just last Monday at exactly 11:00am, I was on the phone. Walked over and looked out the living room window to see a big male yote come up out of the ravine. He trotted acrossed the yard, paused under an apple tree and continue'd across the yard.

I threw the phone down, grabbed the .22 and headed out the front door.
By the time I got around the house he was gone so I couldn't get a shot at him. If I had,it would have been the fifth yote I've shot in the yard. I should have known they were close as there's been something keeping the shephard uneasy at night. He scents them and it drives him crazy. He walks around the house with his nose in the air snarling and growling.

Night manuevers to begin asap.
Old August 8, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Discern

The only good coyote is a dead coyote. The same for wolves, but I cannot shoot wolves where I live.
Old August 9, 2011, 04:19 PM   #4
markj

The neighbors and I get together and shoot yotes. Just about time to do it again.
Old August 9, 2011, 05:55 PM   #5
JACK308

Hey Discern take a road trip to Idho
Old August 9, 2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Discern

Jack308

Maybe someday I will take a hunting trip to Idaho. Right now, life and work are busy. I can't complain as many are without a job and hard pressed for money. There are coyotes where I hunt that I need to work on.