The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 2, 2011, 02:55 PM   #51
Dennis1209

Receipt for Baked Boar

Now don't laugh until you have tried it.

1. Take any wild hog and clean carefully, this will play an important part later.

2. Take whole clean prepared boar (pig) and place between (2) two pieces of sized 5/8 inch plywood, press board would work in a pinch.

3. Here's the important part. Pack entire contents, wood and wild pig, in allot of cow manure. Horse manure if you don't have access to cow.

4. Bake in a premade fire pit in the ground and cover with 12-18" of soil.

5. Let roast until wood and manure are tender.

6. Pitch the pig and eat the wood and manure. Hopefully the pig didn't contaminate the wood and manure
Old August 4, 2011, 05:51 PM   #52
Keg

SaltyDog....correct.......There would not be so many posts about big boars not being fit or (as good) to eat if there was nothing to it....And don't blame it on poor preparation......U never hear this about small pigs.......From what I understand..there can be a problem with domestic pigs too...so they castrate em....to help.......

Dennis1209......LOL
Old August 4, 2011, 07:21 PM   #53
Dennis1209

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

can't humans contract nasties like T.B., anthrax and a host of other commutable diseases from wild and Ferrel hogs? For those of you who eat possum on the shell (armadillo), there's a good one called leprosy you can contract. What's that nasty bug you can get with under cooked pork?
Old August 4, 2011, 07:42 PM   #54
Doyle

Dennis, leprosy does occur in armadillos but rarely in the US. As far as pigs go, I've never heard of a case of anthrax being spread by cleaning a ferral hog but there is a disease called brucellosis that is a definate risk with ferral hogs (as well as many other game animals). It is spread by contact with your skin. The simple precaution of wearing latex gloves while cleaning it is enough to prevent infection.
Old August 4, 2011, 07:53 PM   #55
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001655/
Quote:
Trichinosis
Trichiniasis; Trichinellosis

Last reviewed: December 10, 2010.

Trichinosis is infection with the roundworm Trichinella spiralis.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Trichinosis is a disease caused by eating undercooked meat containing cysts of Trichinella spiralis. Trichinella spiralis can be found in pork, bear, walrus, fox, rat, horse, and lion meat.
This is one cootie...

Brent
Old August 4, 2011, 09:00 PM   #56
Hog Buster

A little wild hog story

A couple of years back we caught 3 wild/feral shoats, a boar and 2 sows, while crawfishing. They were swimming and we were faster in the boat. I put them in a pen and started feeding them, hog chow and corn. They bounced off the fence for a while , but soon calmed down and acted no different than their domestic kin, becoming rather tame. They grew to about 150 - 200 pounds. They never got fat, were very hairy, had long legs, narrow rear ends and heads shaped like a plow. Much differently shaped than true domestics. Slaughtered they produced pork as good as any Hampshire I’ve ever raised.

Now for a little wild hog story.

During the time I was raising these hogs hurricane Gustav blew thru here and downed all our power lines. Several days after the storm the power company had trucks and crews out repairing the lines.

One morning I was awakened by someone yelling in back of my house. Going to see what was up, I found a lineman about half way up a pole in back with my 3 wild hogs at the base looking up at him. As I stepped off the porch he yelled for me to look out, there’s wild hogs out here. I told him I’d take care of them. I went and got a bucket of hog chow. When the three escapees saw me with it they came running and followed me back into their pen. After they were secured the lineman came down and we both had a good laugh. I told him they were just looking for breakfast. He said that he thought they were looking to eat him and his only escape route was back up the pole, said he’d been up there for about 15 minutes trying to decide what to do.
Old August 5, 2011, 05:30 AM   #57
Jack O'Conner

Un-castrated males hogs are no treat on the dinner plate. But sows and piglets are most tasty indeed!

Jack
Old August 5, 2011, 07:37 PM   #58
Keg

Hey Jack....I like that Savage.....What caliber???
Old August 5, 2011, 09:14 PM   #59
SouthTXCrackshot

Some also may be infected with Pseudo rabies
Old August 5, 2011, 10:04 PM   #60
Hog Buster

If you all are afraid to eat wild hog because you think you might get leptospriosis or some other obscure malady, that’s fine. For whatever other reason, that’s fine too. But, don’t try and convince anyone who’s never tried it how bad it tastes, or how dangerous it is to eat. Personally my family and I have eaten wild hog for years and haven’t suffered any dreaded diseases or had a third arm grow out of our backs.

While hogs will roll in the mud and slop and get pretty nasty on the outside I’ve never seen one eat his own crap, like chickens do, along with any other piles that may be in their reach. Chickens are the nastiest critters in the barnyard and will eat anything, “passed” or present, dead or alive.

Think about this the next time you crunch down on a finger lickin’ good drumstick.
Old August 5, 2011, 10:16 PM   #61
SouthTXCrackshot

I have chickens and they dont do anything like that. ^
Old August 8, 2011, 02:28 PM   #62
rickyrick

When My son raised show chickens, They dont eat near enough of there own crap.....the chicken shed floor was still covered every day.

How'd we get from pigs to chicken excrement anyway??

That format is for the Mini14 threads
Old August 8, 2011, 06:34 PM   #63
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
can't humans contract nasties like T.B., anthrax and a host of other commutable diseases from wild and Ferrel hogs?
Quote:
Some also may be infected with Pseudo rabies
As may be deer, sheep, goat, cattle, and bear. Every animal humans consume has the potential to carry all sorts of maladies that can have detrimental results to us.

Have y'all even seen the long lists of things that domestic livestock (especially chickens, pigs, and cattle) can carry that are harmful to humans?