The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 5, 2011, 05:13 PM   #1
mput32

Need Help Identifying This Gun Please

I was recently going through my deceased Grandfathers belongings and had found this handgun which i know nothing about. He was in the Korean War and my Grandmother had thought my Granfather had said he had gotten it off a Korean Soldier. Please help me in identifing this.

It Says "Automatic Pistol Cal 6 5 something Self"
Old August 5, 2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Kodyo

Looks a lot like this gun to me.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:He...6_IMG_3267.jpg

Maybe a different model or a copy of it.
Also, maybe the caliber is 6.35? I'm finding a lot of guns marked that.

Not an expert, just in doing research.

Last edited by Kodyo; August 5, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old August 5, 2011, 06:22 PM   #3
joyrock

looks like a copy of a Colt vest gun. 6.3? Looks like a 6.35 (25ACP). They are kinda cool little toys. It really looks like a clone of a Colt. Does it have a barrel? Photo 2, looks kinda dark where the barrel should be. Well good luck.
Old August 5, 2011, 07:30 PM   #4
DrLaw

It is a copy of a .25 ACP (6.35mm) FN Browning Pocket or Colt 1903 Pocket.

It is not made by a major maker that I can find. While there WAS an AUTOMATIC PISTOL as a 'maker', this does not follow the pattern of their guns, which is explained in the next paragraph. Also, most .25's of this type were knock-off copies made in Spain.

However, most of the Spanish .25 pocket pistols have the safety above the trigger, as opposed to behind the grip. The FN and the Colt had the safety behind the grip, and some of the Spanish copies did not bother with a grip safety.

What makes me think this is a knock-off more than anything else is the lettering is not parallel to the slide. This might make it something that came out of the India-Pakistan home-made firearms industry. It also does not appear to have a barrel.

Finally, most every manufacturer of these small .25 guns had grips with the manufacturer's name or some symbol on them. These grips are replacement-type grips, which would probably be the first grips that this gun had on it if in fact it is a hand-made India-Pakistan area gun.

The Doc is out now.
Old August 5, 2011, 07:31 PM   #5
RJay

It is hard to read the roll marks but it looks to be a Spanish Eibar type of firearm, sometimes lumped together under the generic name of Rubies. made and imported to the US. in the 1920's until the late 1930s. If so the value would be very low in that condition, maybe 20 dollars as a parts gun. I would find it very hard to believe that a North Korean soldier would be carrying something of this nature.
Old August 5, 2011, 09:32 PM   #6
WANT A LCR 22LR

Could it be that the actual Korea gun is still hidden in the house.
Old August 5, 2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

The gun is pre-WW1 Spanish, made in the Eibar region. The grips are not original, and it appears the barrel is missing.
As best I can tell, the marking on the slide says "Self." I can find no reference for this marking.
Need CLEAR pictures of all markings on the gun for further info.
Old August 5, 2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Mr.Blue

Wow, that's a small gun. I hope you can restore it.
Old August 6, 2011, 05:37 PM   #9
aryfrosty

Eibar?

Looks to me like either and Aya or AAA made around Eibar Spain. There were many such clones. Either they didn't pay any attention to proprietary rights or they all shared specs and made their version. It is also a .25acp if it is an Eibar.
Old August 6, 2011, 06:31 PM   #10
armoredman

Isn't that the one Frank Burns was carrying to go do the prisoner exchange with Hawkeye? That would explain why the Koreans had it.
Old August 6, 2011, 06:49 PM   #11
James K
Staff

Yes, it is a copy of the FN Model 1906, not of the Colt vest pocket; they are similar but not identical. As others have said, I would suspect it is Spanish-made.

The caliber would have been 6.35 Browning, which we call the .25 ACP. but with the barrel missing it obviously can't be fired.

It seems a bit unlikely that a Korean would have that gun, but not impossible, so any speculation along those lines would be just that, speculation.

Jim
Old August 7, 2011, 10:42 AM   #12
mput32

Thank you everyone for the input it is greatly appreciated, sorry i didnt mention before but i do have the barrel, i have every part for the gun. sorry again for not mentioning that in the first place.
Old August 7, 2011, 10:51 AM   #13
mput32

Old August 7, 2011, 12:04 PM   #14
Webleymkv

If your gun is what we think it is (pre-WWI Spanish made), I would not reccomend firing it until you have it checked out by a competent gunsmith. Spanish guns can vary greatly in quality from good, though utilitarian, guns like Stars and Astras to absolute junk that isn't safe to fire.

Tags
hand gun , help! , please help , unknown