The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 4, 2011, 01:56 PM   #1
PoorRichRichard

Gettin your rabbits dressed and cooled down fast- All out of a backpack.

So here's what I pack in my medium sized backpack for a nice early morning or late afternoon rabbit hunt.

-Little three piece Smith and Wesson "Bulls Eye" knife set. $20 on sale at Big 5 Sporting Goods which included a nice little heavy clever for head/leg removal, a small thin incisor knife to start my skinning/gutting grove, and a medium sized knife which makes splitting the hips clean and easy.

-one small cutting board

-3 to 5 small bottles of frozen water (depending on how many rabbits I plan on taking home)

-One large gallon for water for cleaning rabbits/knifes and cutting board.

-5 to 8 plastic grocery for double or triple bagging guts/heads/legs.*I do not leave these bits on the ground or bury then in the field, as this would attract more Coyotes to my hunting ground. Also, many non-hunters hike through this area as well.

-2 or 3 large ziplock bags for the rabbits.

-One or two small bottles of cold water, and a can or two of soda which I pack next to the frozen bottles in a plastic grocery sack so I have cold drinks throughout my hike/hunt.

-Small lunch and/or some trial mix (pack trail mix next to frozen bottles if it contains chocolate chips in order to avoid sticky melted mess).

I have all I need for a fantastically relaxing day in the hills with no mess/clean up at home. Toss my knives/cutting board in the dishwasher. The wife is happy, and so am I!
Old August 4, 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
PoorRichRichard

P.S. Don't forget your gun and ammo
Old August 4, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3
treg

Thanks for the good post PRR.

Good to hear from the fellow small game guys on here.

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
Old August 5, 2011, 02:03 AM   #4
aaalaska

A bit different than my method, I don't hunt till freeze up, so not so much need for ice, I carry a knife, and a pair of game shears four clips and the feet are gone, one more the heads gone, a slit in the middle of the back ,grab on both sides and pull firmly this usually results in a mostly skinned rabbit, clean up the small patches remaining, slit the chest to pelvis, splitting the pelvis , turn it over and a quick shake will drop most of the entrails,a quick check, clean up any remaining, and drop into a cotton game bag, it allows the game to bleed and doesn't lock in the heat.Of course these aren't rabbits their hares.
Alex
Old August 5, 2011, 02:05 AM   #5
aaalaska

One more I rarely use the knife, all clips and splits are done with the shears.