The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2001, 10:17 PM   #1
Rome

I recently read that in order to "clean-up" live, old milsurp ammo with brass cases I can simply tumble it in a dry cleaning media for a few hours and it comes out nice and clean.

This seems a little counter-intuitive to place live ammo into a tumbler but I'm a complete novice when it comes to reloading. Is the information I received correct? Can you tumble live 30.06 1959 brass milsurp ammo without damaging it?

Any help will be appreciated.

Rome
Old January 29, 2001, 12:25 AM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Rome you CAN, but I would not do it for more than 5 or 10 minutes and that probably would not do too much cleaning. There are different views on the subject. I would be afraid of creating a static electricty spark which may or may not set off the powder. The deterrant coating may be displaced which could change the burning rate of the powder, also there is the very slim chance that a bullet point may hit a sensitive primer and detonate it, again not likely but? You also want to stay away from Brasso because it has ammonia, and if you use penetrating oil it may kill the primer. Lets see that leaves us with a rag dampened with water and detergent, or a light rubbing with steel wool.
For the first firing the main thing is to remove any grit that could damage the chamber or bore. I would make a half hearted pass to get the loose dirt off of them, fire them then tumble away at them.
Old January 29, 2001, 07:06 AM   #3
Rome

The problem that brought this subject up was on an M1 Garand website.

A lot of ammo that you can purchase for the M1 is, of course, military surplus. I purchase some myself not long ago for a great price from SOG. When I opened the two sealed cans, I discovered that some of the brass had discolored and the enblocs were also slightly coated with some type of very very find debris. I decided that I didn't want to simply place these in my rifle so I removed the rounds from the blocks and washed the blocks. It was then that I noticed that the brass had a very hard time rubbing against eachother due to the discoloration. The 8 rounds are really tightly packed to begin with and that makes it hard for the rounds to come out of the enbloc. So, after cleaning the enbloc, I wiped the ammo and then tried something new to make the brass slide.

I'm a cabinetmaker and use high speed tools against very expensive wood. I lubricate my cutting tools but the last thing I need to do is contaminate the wood with silicone or petroleum based oils. Therefore I use a dry-lubricant called "Dri-Cote" on all my cutting bits. It is essentially inert and you can barely feel it on the surfaces.

What I tried with the milsurp was to sparingly spray an old towel with one pass and then simply ran the ammo back and forth in the towel. That little extra lube helped immensely and now the ammo pops right out of the enblocs just like new. After firing, you'll be able to clean the brass normally.

Rome
Old January 29, 2001, 09:36 AM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

That makes sense to me Rome! Good thinking.
Old January 29, 2001, 02:05 PM   #5
Gewehr98

Lubed ammo

Which of course, incurs the standard warnings against lubed ammo, unless the weapon was specifically designed to make use of such.

Clean, smooth, and dry is ok, but I dunno if I want to change the coefficient of friction too much between the brass and chamber of my M1 Garand using a lubricant...