The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 30, 2011, 07:34 AM   #1
ltc444

Varmit calls

The rancher "removed" the wild burros which hung around my place and kept the yotes at bay. Since then the coyotes have become a real problem.

Does any one have any suggestions for predator calls which would work for bring them in to range.
Old July 30, 2011, 05:19 PM   #2
603Country

I'm not the county's best coyote caller, but I seem to have the best luck with wounded rabbit sounds, wounded fawn sounds, and such as that. With the new crop of fawns just having been born, now is a good time for using that fawn call. Even better than that is when I shoot a big feral hog and put him out in the back pasture for coyote bait. That works for me better and more consistantly than the call - which may confirm that my calling leaves something to be desired. I put the hog about 20 feet from the edge of the woods, and a day or two after the buzzards have opened him up and let those yummy odors loose, the coyotes come to call at dawn and at dusk. They usually come in pairs, but only once have I been able to get both of them.
Old July 30, 2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Hog Buster

Coyotes are pretty slick varmints, but if they haven’t been called too much they’ll usually come to a wounded rabbit call. I’ve killed more with this than any other. I’ve got cousin that has had success with a distressed pup call.

The ones around here have been called too much and don’t respond well to any call, but can be had sniping over bait. A dead chicken, tied to a stake, works best here as the coyotes seem to prefer to dine on my flock.

The wounded rabbit call will call more than coyotes. I've had owls, house cats, dogs, bobcats, crows, foxes and even a human respond to it.
Old July 31, 2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Discern

Do your game laws allow electronic callers? There are websites that have free predator calls in MP3 format. You can use a portable sound system to play these calls.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:34 AM   #5
JUMP

I know a few people who would love to come hunt your land I being one of them.

Electronic callers are fine if you have the money. Woodpecker distress seems to work nice in the desert. I personally use a tally-ho with a series of yips and yelps. The coyotes in the desert around phoenix love it.

Vernon has never been a good area for me. So my advice isn't the best. In Show Low area I have had good luck with wounded jack rabbit and wounded pup calls. My brother uses dead jack rabbits at his fence line to get them interested then calls them in closer. He is in the White mtn lakes area.

Last edited by JUMP; July 31, 2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Of the several wounded rabbit mouth calls I've used, my very-old Olt works the best.

I've also had success with a Burnham Brothers wounded rabbit tape, using an el cheapo baby boombox from WalMart.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:10 PM   #7
rickyrick

not the ones i have been using.......

i am not the expert but, i think you need to find out what the favorite snack is.

Interestingly enough, I tried one of those pig squeelers that I found on clearance. and I accidently called a coyote within 20 feet of me...I turned on the light and he was just standing there... He got a pass because i had too much gun and couldnt verify a clear path behind him.

the take away of this, you may call something that you wern't expecting.

I coulda swore that he shook his head and grinned as he disappeared.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:27 PM   #8
spclPatrolGroup

If you are asking about brands, I have no complaints about my foxpro. You may want to try some inexpensive hand calls first, the nicer electric callers can cost some money. I like the ones where you can run a speaker out away from you, since coyotes are very visual preditors. also if you use a decoy pay attention, I had a bobcat run out from the bushes behind me, grab my decoy and sprint off, never to be seen again.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:28 PM   #9
spclPatrolGroup

Oh, and in a pinch, turkey calls and decoys can be used to call in a coyote from tiem to time.
Old August 1, 2011, 06:48 PM   #10
603Country

Regarding electronic calls, I bought a Primos call and it worked great for a time, but then the coyotes stopped coming to it. I've read that the electronic callers make sounds that are too repetitive and the coyotes eventually figure that out. I might have been using it too often. And at high volume, the less than most expensive electronic callers won't have quite as clear a call, which also might be a warning indicator to the coyotes. I don't know the above to be true, but it does go along with what I've experienced. A good mouth call or two or three just might be the best way to go.

And I got a coyote decoy. That worked great a few times. And I got one of those whirlygig deals with the furry tail. That worked great on Bobcats, but the coyotes didn't notice. The foam plastic rabbit decoy was ignored by everything that slinks or flies. I'd probably do better with one of those inflatable girlfriends, but then I'd have a pasture full of old ranchers.