The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2001, 07:54 PM   #1
buckskinner

I'm dusting off my father's unused Rockchucker and box of goodies. I'm looking for a good place to get instructions for proper set up of an efficient bench.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

MOLON LABE !!
on welfare get, and how free are they? It's not an endlessly
expanding list of rights—the 'right' to education, the 'right' to
health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom,
that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of
slavery—hay and a barn for human cattle. There's only one
basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And
with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the
consequences."

-P.J. O'Rourke
Old January 27, 2001, 08:39 PM   #2
capbuster

buckskinner,you have brought up a very interesting subject and you should get lots of suggestions.I assume you already have a bench. If not, we just had a great discussion about building one on the loadyourown.com forum under the equipment section.you might contact the National Reloading Manufacters Association and see if they have any pointers. Their address is Suite 300,1221S.W.Yamhill St.,Portland,Oregon 97205.Your reloading regiment will usually take on a certain flow like the assembly line of a minature factory.Once you realize this you can arrange your bench accordingly.Try to make it as convenient as you can.I read where one fellow(I think it was the late George Nonte) suggested temporarily mounting your tools with C clamps so you try out your setup before you make it permanent.MY own set up is pretty basic. I placed my press to the left of my bench with ample space to the left of the press which gave me a good working area to the right of the press. On the far end I have a small vise mounted which swings out of the way when not in use.My priming device, powder measure and trimmer are mounted on wooden blocks and are held by the jaws of the vise when in use.good luck.-Cliff
Old January 27, 2001, 08:53 PM   #3
buckskinner

Thanks for the info. I should say I use my buddy's Dillon XL650 often, and I'm in the use what ya got school, so I guess I'm looking for a specific list of equipment or set up steps for using the Rockchucker. I checked the RCBS site, and couldn't find what I needed there. Right now I have the press, and pre packaged box of:case loading block, trimmer, deprimer,etc. (but no scale).\
consequences."

-P.J. O'Rourke
Old January 28, 2001, 01:06 PM   #4
capbuster

bench setup

Buckskinner as you know you will be needing a scale for reloading and if you plan to do alot of loading especially for handgun you will find a powder measure most necessary.You can get by without a powder measure but I would recommend getting one as soon as you can.You have your press and I suppose the priming device is in place.You will need dies and these can be purchased from any of the leading reloading equipment manufacturers. Most of my dies are RCBS but I also use Lyman,Redding and Lee on my single stage press.You can add additional equipment as you see fit. Buy a good reloading manual.You will find it a great buy and they are loaded with information.I have one from Lyman,Speer, and Hornady.You can also get free reloading pamphletts from the powder companies. The maual will help you with your choice of componets.One other suggestion and please dont take offense. Make sure you lubricate your press from time to time and when not in use cover it to keep out dust. I have an old sown up blue jean pants leg pulled over my press. Also keep your dies clean and oiled. You will wipe the oil off before use and clean and reoil when finished. I learned this the hard way. you also might consider getting a tumble later on . They make your brass look spiffy and keeps crud out of you dies. good luck._Cliff
Old January 28, 2001, 02:55 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

buckskinner one thing for sure is give yourself plenty of room if you can. Another thing is to make sure that the bench is STURDY. Mine is made of 2X4's laminated together on a 2X4 and 4X4 frame, with the top covered with a piece of woodgrain paneling, and plenty of shelves. I am in the process now of building a new barn/workshop and most likely will include a new reloading room in it even larger than the one I now have. As it stands now since this picture was taken only about a month ago I moved the deerhead and installed some shelves where it was. Hope the pic works ok I am still learning about that picture stuff.

Old January 28, 2001, 04:49 PM   #6
Monkeyleg

Carlyle, _that_ is organized! Congratulations on a terrific setup.

Dick, the Disorganized.
Old January 28, 2001, 06:03 PM   #7
buckskinner

Thanks all!

So now I know! Does it matter if my reloading manuals are 10 years old? I will update as time goes by, but I want to use what I have. I will buy a new scale, and all components of course as I have some brass collected, but I usually give it away.

That picture tells a thousand words and answers questions I haven't even thought to ask. Thanks!
consequences."

-P.J. O'Rourke
Old January 29, 2001, 12:38 AM   #8
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the kind words friends, but the main reason its organized is we had a cold wet winter and to offset cabin fever I cleaned it up and orgainized it . I leave the scale on the middle shelf, that way its at eye level and easy to read. I left room between the powder mesure and the press, and put the Lyman 450 lube/sizer off to the left kind of out of the way. I have some shelves out of the picture that I keep my lead pot, and tumbler, and media, on. When I cast or tumble I use another work bench that has one of those kitchen hoods on it vented to the outside. Even with all the space the room is getting cramped, and we promised my youngest daughter (she will be 9) a pony for her next b-day so for a few months anyway I have laid the rifle/shotgun/handgun/rod and reel aside and took the hammer and saw in hand. In that new barn I will have a 14'x28' room plus a 10'x14' room. I may use the 10x14 for a reloading room/gun stuff workbench room and the bigger one for woodworking/welding/mechanic work etc. If anyone has any ideas I am always willing to listen.