The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2001, 12:14 AM   #1
VonFatman

I just purchased a reloader and with it came a "Lyman 47th". Lots of folks recomend several different manuals. Do I really need any other manuals at this stage? If so, which and why?
Thanks Guys/Gals!
Old January 27, 2001, 12:52 AM   #2
Coolray

Yes you need a few different manuals.
Some have more types of powders and bullets. others focus on Cowboy Etc. Get a couple so you can at least compare load data if something seems odd,that way if your book has a typo you may just save your self a headache.
Old January 27, 2001, 01:36 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

A good choice for a second "manual" is one of the "1 Load Books" from Midway.

Basically they're a spiral bound pamphlet of photocopied pages from most of the major reloading manuals, all for a single caliber such as the .357 Mag. or the .45 ACP.

Another good thing to have is one of the manuals put out by the manufacturer of the powder that you're going to use. You can often download these manuals from the company's Website. I do that every year with the Winchester manual.
Old January 27, 2001, 01:58 AM   #4
Archie

Von. Reloading manuals are information and knowledge. The preambles and notes are different from one to another.

You can't have too much information.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old January 27, 2001, 04:26 AM   #5
Sub MOA

I have five hardbacks and two magazine type reloading manuals. It is very reassuring to be able to cross check loads for safety. Won't go into details, but suffice it to say some manuals list max. loads that are quite hot, much hotter than I care to shoot with my hands through my firearms.

Check your local gunshows for good deals. I recently picked up a brand new manual, spine had never been cracked, for $5.

Sub

Old January 27, 2001, 07:15 AM   #6
Hot Core

Hey VonFatman, I agree that it is pretty much impossible to have too many Reloading Manuals. Your Lyman Manual is an excellent one to begin with.

I agree with the recommendations to get Manuals from the companies who will actually be manufacturing the particular Bullets and Powder you intend to use. By that I mean, if you intend to shoot Hornady Bullets with IMR Powder, as a minimum, have both of their Manuals.

I generally recommend the Speer and Hodgdon Manuals because I use a lot of their products, plus those two books seem to match very closely the actual results I see in my rifles.

Just be sure the Manuals you buy are from, or contain information from, the actual Component Manufactures. They have multi-million dollar Labs where the data is based on hundreds of thousands of rounds fired.

I also agree you will see significant variances between the different Manuals and in some instances they are more valid than they might first appear. For example, not all of the Bullet makers use the exact same Outside Diameter, jacket material composition and bearing surface. And the reported Loads are not shot in the exact same firearms as you will be using. Each of these design elements will effect what they list as an acceptable load for that bullet with a specific powder.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Old January 27, 2001, 08:50 AM   #7
tonyz

I Also recommened as many manuals as you can get.
For all the same reasons.
Some of the powder data can be gotten for free. Hogdgons and alliant and others are posted on the web.
Also Hogdgons will send you a Basic reloading manuals free of charge. Just go to they web site.
Speer's has a very good one too. Picked mine up for $6.00 a the gun show.
Lymans is also a very good manual but lacks many types of powder.

Tony Z

Old January 27, 2001, 09:03 AM   #8
Quantrill

Reloading Manuals

Another free one is from IMR Powders and their info is on the net at http://www.imrpowder.com/reload.html
Quantrill
Old January 27, 2001, 01:16 PM   #9
Kenneth L. Walters

You should check a potential load in several manuals because, though rare, every once in a while a manual simply gets it wrong.

The Lyman 1st edition cast bullet handbook is a good example. Those were guesses. They were so bad that Lyman actually took all the copies they could find to the local dump.

Something this wrong is very unusual but mistakes do happen. Checking something in several manuals is just a good safety check.
Old January 27, 2001, 02:38 PM   #10
VonFatman

Thanks everyone!
I'm going to a gun show this next weekend and will do some more looking around.
Have a great weekend!
VonFatman
Old January 27, 2001, 05:51 PM   #11
Jamie Young

I have found the Lyman Manual helpful but Inadequate. I had a hard time trying to find reloading Data for 62gr bullets for my 223. I have 2 Manuals now and I look up stuff on the net.
Old January 28, 2001, 10:41 AM   #12
ea2

I have to put my vote in for the LEE manual.

While it's front end reads as one long LEE commercial, its load data is quite extensive and comes from the powder manufacturers.

Like previous posters stated, it's wise to double check a manual's data with the most recent data from the selected powder manufacturer (which usually can be downloaded free of charge).