The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2011, 11:06 AM   #1
catzor

9mm load check!

In my p95, I had the following load:

124gr lee truncated cone TL
4.2gr bullseye
1.16 OAL

The load was light and carbon deposits could be seen on the case mouth (too low pressure, I think). Accuracy was poor.

Fast forward to now. The p95 is no more and I currently have a keltec p11. It will not feed these loads at all. To correct the problem, I shortened the OAL to 1.12 and tried the loads. No more carbon deposits on the case mouth due to higher pressures, but I also got cratered primers (federal primers). There would be a ridge around where the firing pin hit, but it was mostly flattened due to slamming the breech face. Is this a sign of overpressure? How does the load sound to you guys? What charge of BE would you recommend with this bullet combo?

For reference the load I'm talking about is:

124gr lee truncated cone TL
4.2gr BE
1.12 OAL
Old July 25, 2011, 11:38 AM   #2
kraigwy

Federal primers have softer caps then most others. I use them in in revolvers for competition and carry ammo because of the positive ignition.

Most people who make comp guns (Clark 'n such) recommend Federal Primers for their competition guns because normally they have lighter hammer springs.

However, none none of the semi's I have, nor semi's I've seen need softer caps.

I would recommend trying other brands of primers to see how they work.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 25, 2011, 04:23 PM   #3
justinpar

I've loaded 4.2 BE 124gr rainier plated at 1.15 and they were fairly light loads. Using WSP primers.
Old July 25, 2011, 06:09 PM   #4
CherokeeT

Give CCI SP primers a try. If you get similar result, back off. Lyman #49 manual lists 4.2 max for 120 gr cast bullet.
Old July 25, 2011, 07:01 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

I use what ever primers I can get for loading 9mm. One of them happens to be a P11. Though I shoot plated. Note mine makes primes look cratered with any ammo. It shoots fine, and I have not hand any problems with it at all. If the trigger was not so awful I would probably shoot it more.