The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2011, 12:27 AM   #26
medalguy

I can buy 5.56 from Aim right now for I believe it's .26 per round. It's not bad ammo, but it's not tailored to my gun.

On the other hand, I can reload 5.56 for about .14 a round. Note I buy in bulk, in large volume. Here's my own breakdown costwise:

Brass USGI 5,000 at a pop .04 FOR THE FIRST GO AROUND ONLY
Bullet 55 gr 20,000 at a pop .06
Primers 50,000 at a pop .015
Powder 100 pounds at a pop .03

The brass I figure to last 10 loadings before I toss it into the scrap bucket. I size and trim on a Dillon power trimmer so it's extremely fast. I trim again after 5 loadings, so 10 loadings get 2 trimmings. I swage the primer pocket once and never touch it again. Now in the price listing above, I figured in the cost of brass but if you reload your own brass, the cost per round drops to about .10 A ROUND!

I buy surplus or pulldown powder (WC844) from Jeff bartlett or Pat's Reloading and the last time I bought it the price was $65 for 8 pounds. Using 25 grains I get about 2240 rounds per jug. The bullets I buy from whomever has the best price. I last purchased bullets over a year ago so the prices now may be a little higher.

I don't figure the time factor since I'm retired and I like reloading. It gets me out of the house and allows me some private time to relax. If you don't have time or just don't like reloading, don't do it. It becomes a job then.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:31 AM   #27
LarryFlew

+1 for the lee trimmer chucked in a drill, works great and quick.
Old July 22, 2011, 10:09 AM   #28
miker84

I reload 223, but I also buy it when I catch it on sale. I reload mainly plinking rounds on the progressive, but they end up being more accurate than me. I do plan to load up some heavier rounds on the single stage at some point.

I use the possum hollow trimmer in a drill press and the rcbs prep center to do the trimming, chamfer and debur. It makes the loading much easier. I just got a dillon super swage for the crimps (which I still have a ton of).

You can do the math and prove that it's a good idea or a bad idea. I just enjoy doing it and someday reloading may be the only way to get ammo.
Old July 22, 2011, 10:27 AM   #29
ragwd

If its just a cost decision, then buy the bulk ammo. If shooting as accurate as you possibly can , then reload. After I tuned the ammo for my rifle, there is no question about the accuracy is far better. I went from 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards to 5 shots under a inch. I buy the cheap ammo sometimes. For my ar pistol, it isnt accurate so it doesnt matter what i feed it.