The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
mrray13

SAR K2-45, the start

Okay, so as the unofficial rules go, I'm linking pictures of my K2-45, as well as my EAA Witness in .40 S&W for comparison. I haven't shot it yet, rain stopped it today, will hopefully go tomorrow. Here's a quick rundown so far..

Pros
Excellent fit and finish. Slide to frame fit is superb, and is better then the Witness, although it's not bad either. Excellent for a $500 gun, comparable to guns costing two-three times what this one cost.
Trigger pull is sweet. Very little creep, in either DA or SA, before let off, and no over travel. I don't have a gauge, so I can't measure either one, but I'm of the opinion that the trigger pull is better then the Witness, which has quite a bit more creep and no over travel, and definitely on par with the good 1911s out there.
Ergos are nice. To be honest, this 14rd .45 acp fits my hand far better then the G21SF I owned, and after switching the mag release over to the right side, I am one happy camper.
Sights, while I haven't shot it yet, I like the fact the pistol came with low profile, adjustable sights. It also came with the allen wrench to unsecure them if needed. I also like the fact the front sight is dove tailed, not machined like the Witness, and can be replaced. I have yet to find any after market sights, however, and due to the sight sliding in from the front, might be a tad hard.

Cons
Only came with one magazine. What is up with that? Only FNH has it right when they include three magazines. Upside, magazines are around $27 each, had an extra included in the original purchase, so adding mags won't be expensive.
The magazines aren't cut for the reversal of the mag release. So I had to cut the notch and trim the follower a bit. No biggie, I seem to tweak just about every gun nowadays anyway.
Fully loaded, the Mec-Gar mags won't drop free from the pistol if the slide is locked back. Empty, partially full, or slide forward, they are completely drop free. Not a big deal, as I don't plan on dropping full mags at slide lock anyhow, but it would still be nice. The mags function flawlessly so far when I rack through them from full to empty. Including after the mods.
Safety could be a bit wider. I like the cocked and locked idea, just wish I could buy a better lever, ala 1911, so I could get a bit more purchase on it.

That's it so far. Range report will be coming asap!! Of note, the pistol fits in my size 20 Uncle Mikes Pro3 duty holster, as well as my G21 Serpa and my Ross Leather G17 belt slide. It also fits in my Galco SkyOps tuckable IWB, so I didn't have to include any holster purchases!! I will have to buy a different mag pouch for off duty as the mags are too wide to fit in my Fobus mag/cuff combo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0199.jpg (253.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0200.jpg (252.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0201.jpg (255.2 KB, 109 views)
Old July 7, 2011, 07:01 PM   #2
irish52084

That's a nice pistol. Is it kind of a CZ clone? Looks like it sort of.
Old July 7, 2011, 07:18 PM   #3
SoilworK777

Probably more a Sig clone.
Old July 7, 2011, 07:30 PM   #4
irish52084

Now that I look at it again, it does look like a combination of a CZ and a SIG. I like it, I'll add it to my wish list, right behind a 4" 357 service revolver.
Old July 7, 2011, 07:47 PM   #5
mrray13

With it's layout and slide in frame design, I'd say it leans towards the CZ. I actually had narrowed down my choices for a new gun between this, or the Sig, either a used 226, or new 2022 or 250. This K2 won out due to the capacity in .45 and the way it fit my hand. The 226 fit great as well, and it will be added to the stable sometime soon!!
Old July 8, 2011, 02:15 PM   #6
The_Shadow

MrRay, thanks for sharing the pictures. I am consideing a SAR K2 - 10mm if they ever make there way into my area to wrap my hands on one.
Old July 8, 2011, 02:18 PM   #7
mrray13

No problem, I wish I could have shot today. I will get a range report done soon, I've got to shoot it sooner or later, lol.
Old July 12, 2011, 06:53 PM   #8
mrray13

FINALLY got to shoot the SAR!! And I gotta say, we, meaning myself, my son and a fellow officer who is also a firearm's instructor, were impressed! This pistol not only fits the hand very well, but shoots as good as it looks and feels! So, here's the data, sorry no pics, was too damn hot to worry about a camera, save when we were playing with the M-16 on full auto!

Ammo used was 250 rounds of 230gr FMJ Remington UMC bulk (goldish box) and 50 rounds of 230gr Black Hills JHP (red box), for a total of 300 rounds.

Shot from 7yds, 15yds and 25yds. Multiple mags each location, from all three shooters.

Gun shot as though it was zeroed for 25yds. Shot POA at 25, and just low at 15, a tad lower at 7. Was very easy to account for, and didn't touch the adjustable rear sight at all. Shooting from offhand, didn't take a bench, gun easily grouped under 2.5", if we all did our part, from any of the three locations. I will get the bench out when it's cooler, and shoot for groups, including more offhand stuff. As we never really shot for groups, all shots taken were fairly rapid fire. Also, we used this time to do a little teaching with the son. So, some shots were thrown.

Speaking of the sights, the 3 dot system employed include a slightly larger, and "whiter" front sight compared to the rear. We all really liked that, made picking it up easy on follow up shots. Which were extremely easy to do. This pistol is a soft recoiling son of a gun, making quick shots not only accurate, but fun!

Trigger was excellent in SA. I never thought to try a DA pull, sorry. I will carry this thing in cocked and locked mode, so DA just wasn't on the agenda, although next time it will be! In SA, there is just a little takeup, then a pretty crisp break, and zero over travel. The first round my son shot scared him, lol, as he turned and looked at us and stated, "that surprised me." We then informed him that is how a trigger pull is supposed to act.

The K2 ate everything, with zero malfunctions. Did not have a single issue out of 300 rounds. Ejection was solid and empties were tossed about 6 ft to the right and 2 ft to the rear of the shooter. Nothing came close to the "in your face" ejections that I've experienced with several different 1911s. Brass was easy to find, even though we were shooting in grass. They grouped pretty well together.

I think, for the price, this 14+1 .45acp is hard to beat. In reality, at any price point, it's hard to beat. Again, fit and finish is comparable to guns two and three times the price. Trigger is right there with the good 1911s, maybe not quite as nice as the great ones. Sights are really good, ergonomics are excellent for several different hand sizes. The pistol fit the hand like a glove, only thing that has fit as nice is the Sig P226 in 9mm.

IMHO, it's biggest downside to those who CC, will be it's weight. Yet, for a person who carries a full size, or commander sized, 1911, or any other all metal pistol, this won't be an issue, and you get 14+1 of .45acp.

As it sits, this pistol would get 4.75 out of 5 stars. The only reason it's not 5/5 is due to the single magazine, the fact the magazine isn't cut for the release to be reversed, and it came in a crappy, cheap case, lol.

I need a few more magazines, and a front night sight, and this pistol would be complete!
Old July 20, 2011, 06:22 AM   #9
NWdude83

My next handgun will probably either be this or a Ruger P345.
Old July 20, 2011, 09:06 PM   #10
warwagon

Actually sounds like the one I was looking for when I bought my Sig, not complaining, love the Sig, but thinking to the future! Great review, thank you for your input!
Old July 20, 2011, 10:35 PM   #11
mrray13

warwagon, if love the Sig, you'll love the way this feels in your hand, the grip angle is very, very Sig like.

I can't wait to add a Sig to the line up!
Old July 21, 2011, 01:09 AM   #12
Mosin44az

Thanks for the info. Interesting gun. Was on the cover of the latest Combat Handguns, they liked it too.
Old July 21, 2011, 01:16 AM   #13
mrray13

No problem!! I think I stumbled upon one of those lucky finds when I found this. It was at a job I didn't know existed, about an hour or so from the house. A friend referred me to them. It's the one and only one they've had in there, as far as I know, the only one in southern Illinois, and they have 4 more mags for it on the shelf, lol!! I've bought two so far, to make the three I need for duty. At $30, tax included, they aren't too pricey, I'll probably end up with all of them eventually, lol.