The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Drummer101

Re-loading

Does anyone know what kind of press this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ygz...eature=related
Old July 9, 2011, 01:05 PM   #2
zippy13

IINM, it's a roll crimper, not a press.
Old July 9, 2011, 05:41 PM   #3
BigJimP

If you want to learn about reloading equipment ---check out the MEC site. They have several models ...and you can get a lot of good general info there.
Old July 9, 2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Drummer101

I liked the roll one for when I start shooting more slugs. For target loads the store bought ones are more than enough for now.

I did find these,
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ori...ctinfo/ROLL12/

I already have a drill press so I think it is an interesting option.
Old July 11, 2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Edward429451

I use the roll crimper on my drill press for crimping my 12ga slugs and it works fantastic. You do have to condition the hulls or you will get cracking. I made a better hull conditioner than you can buy from a broken mould handle. Cut off the tapered part and drill through it lengthwise and put a long skinny bolt through it that you can chuck up in the drill press.
Old July 12, 2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Drummer101

I was thinking this would be easier

I am having a hard time finding slugs for re-loading, casting my own is not an option.

Most of the ones I am finding are for rifled barrels or are over $1 each and I might aswell buy them at the store...

Anything else around??
Old July 12, 2011, 09:02 PM   #7
zippy13

It should also be mentioned that the original video you referenced was mislabeled. He's not re-loading shot shot shells, but loading them -- he's using new hulls. It's a different and less complicated procedure.

If you use previously fired hulls, you'll have to also deal with: an existing crimp, re-priming, and re-sizing the hull. Most of those who re-load hulls with slugs opt for star crimps.

You may wish to reconsider casting your own slugs. It can be done relatively inexpensively with LEE dies and tools.
Old July 12, 2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Drummer101

Dad is stern about no melting lead at home (lucky to even have guns there) and I dont have the facility at college...

Guess I did not think about the re-sizing.

These seem pretty cheap so I will probably get them in bulk when some free shipping deal rolls around or split shipping with someone.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=73473
Old July 15, 2011, 06:12 AM   #9
darkgael

Crimp

Just a note about slugs and crimping etc.
Instead of "slugs", try using lead round balls. They are readily available in a variety of diameters and way less expensive than any of the commercial slugs. Try some in .690" and .715". LRBs are best used with some kind of shot cup. I use BPIs Light Brush Wads and a BPGS gas seal.
Roll crimpers. I have two brands of drill press crimpers. I also have two "antique" roll crimp tools similar to the one in the OP. The antique tools are easier to use, faster, and make a better crimp.
12ga. .690" Round ball. Roll crimp:

Pete

Last edited by darkgael; July 15, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old July 15, 2011, 11:08 AM   #10
zippy13

Pete, my friend, it looks like you're using a new hull. What can you tell us about roll crimping a hull that was previously star crimped?
Old July 15, 2011, 07:30 PM   #11
darkgael

roll crimps

Quote:
What can you tell us about roll crimping a hull that was previously star crimped
Zippy, my friend, the results are not quite as predictable. I usually cut the crimp off a hull that has developed cracks and load it at 2 1/2 inches.
For previously crimped hulls, the newer the hull, though, the better the roll will be. Some older hulls will give an OK crimp, some won't crimp at all.
Here is a pic of a Win AA hull that had a sharp 8 point crimp. A one ounce load, I took it through a MEC 600 to the crimp stage, dropped in an OS card and popped it into one of the old crimp tools.Two turns and this: