The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 8, 2011, 07:13 PM   #1
M1Garand2371

Mosin Nagant finish

So, I picked up my first Nagant today...a 91/30. Nice rifle and a great price for $125. So, I'm cleaning it off as I do with all my new firearms...but I ran some Winchester Break Free cleaner down the muzzle. I cleaned it off and realized wher eit leaked out of the chamber and down the side of the stock, it took the finish off completely!!! I couldn't believe it...it ruined the side of the finish...68 years of being preserved, all the same serial numbers on the parts, and three hours in my hands and it takes it's first serious wound. I was hoping someone had some advice for cleaning that up without it looking too tacky...I can take some damage but it's not bare wood.

Thanks!!!
Old July 8, 2011, 08:10 PM   #2
SurplusShooter

If the stock finish is damaged you could do one of two things touch up that are with some shellac which would probably not look good. Or you could strip the whole stock and put several coats of tung oil and finish with several coats of matt polyurethane on it which would match the original finis quiet well. The second option is the best choice and it worked for me on my m91/30.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:17 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...took the finish off completely..." Mosin-Nagants were originally finished with shellac. Lightly sand the stock and put on more shellac in thin coats, if you want to retain the original finish.
Polyurethane is for cheap furniture. Putting it on tung oil is a complete waste of time. Tung oil, properly rubbed in, gives a hard, waterproof, shiney finish. No plastic is required.
Old July 8, 2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Slopemeno

Keep in mind the stock and metal was probably refinished prior to storage. "original" is relative.