The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Slugo

may live to regret this, but I took my wife shooting...

not really. Let's put it this way, I was heading to one of my favorite local sporting clays venue and needed a trapper. Middle of the week and none of the guys were around. We have remote traps and I showed her how to depress the buttons when I shouted pull. After four or five stations, she's says, "that looks like fun. Do you think I could just try one target". I said, sure why not. Now mind you, I shoot 12ga/30" Browning target gun(s). A bit heavy with a long LOP for my sweetie. But, I showed her how to operate the gun and gave her a tip or two on how to break one clay. Incredibly, she broke the very first clay, a short straight away that you could spot shoot. After that it was all down hill.

Fast forward; I would like to take her out again, but lack a proper fitting shotgun for her to use. I refuse to invest in a dedicated target gun that fits her, until a time I'm sure she wants to improve her game. Most likely she'll lose interest along the way, but who knows. I found a nice little pre-owned 20ga Browning BPS Micro that would fit her perfectly. LOP is 13-1/2" and it barely weighs 7 pounds. Yea, it's a pump, but I plan on just throwing her singles to keep her interested for now. The little browning is in 90% condition, comes in the original box complete with all the accessories and Invector Plus choke tubes. I can get it for $350.

Don't know if I started something or not!?! Thoughts...
Old July 3, 2011, 08:19 AM   #2
blackriderhank

Go for it. It will make her happy and if she decides she is'nt into it you can always sell it. Good luck
Old July 3, 2011, 08:39 AM   #3
ammo.crafter

the wife...

Had a similar experience. Found a Charles Daly 20ga auto in youth configuration and had a one inch Pach recoil pad installed along with porting the barrel. I know, spent more on the extras then the gun. Fits her very well, has little recoil and she loves bustin' clays.
Does she want to go all the time, no. So it works out well for both of us.
Old July 3, 2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Don't buy her a gun yet.

Buy her lessons from a qualified instructor,preferably a female one.

Spouses bring too much baggage to the firing line to be the best choice.

Once she has the basics down, then get her the gun SHE wants.

Trust me on this....
Old July 3, 2011, 09:14 PM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
Buy her lessons from a qualified instructor,preferably a female one.
+1
Old July 5, 2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Homer-Sm

Agree with above points. Do NOT be her Instructor and her Husband for her first couple of lessons.

Similar to buying a 2-person Kayak. Yup, that bad for anyone who ever did this.