The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2011, 08:54 PM   #1
hhunter318

Dummy Cartridge

Ok. I just got my 30" Heavy Palma PacNor .284 1:9 twist barrel in and plan to take it to my smith next week. I'm getting it chambered to a 7mm WSM but have to make my dummy round for him to chamber it to. I'm not doing a tight neck or anything so that doesn't have to be discussed. My question is what needs to be considered when creating the dummy round? How far out do I need to seat the 175 gr. Sierra MKs? Thanks in advance.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:16 PM   #2
chasep255

I would make it just like you make any other cartridge but just don't prime or add powder. Seat the bullet the same way that you normally make reloads.
Happy to say that despite the NJ AWB I still manage to make my guns look scary
Old June 15, 2011, 09:28 PM   #3
dardascastbullets

If your gunsmith is familiar with Palma Rifles then he should be the one to know what dimensions are best for your cartridge. You should not need to provide a dummy cartridge.
Old June 16, 2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Tim R

Certainly your dummy should fit ant mag you might have. The plummer may have wanted a dummy to see where the lands need to be.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:17 AM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
If the SMKs are going to be your Bullet of choice and you wish to feed them through your Magazine , then the Magazine should be your Yardstick ! Measure te Magazine and subtract .020 " and you should be good to go ! If loading Single shot , I guess the smiths Reamer will be the deciding factor !
Old June 16, 2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Loader9

Since you are expecting an accurate barrel with the venture I think it wise to discuss neck thickness with the smitty...if you want to optimize the rifle. You're providing the dummy rounds so he has a clue as to the OAL you expect to shoot. Make sure the OAL will fit in the magazine and is the length you expect to load. I would load 3 dummies for him as a just in case the OAL of the dummy changes while setting up the throat dimensions. He'll be checking the overall fit with a dummy and it can change the OAL a little while doing this. Sounds like you have a smitty that has a clue.
Old June 17, 2011, 01:17 PM   #7
hhunter318

I called my smith and he said load up a dummy round. I'm single loading so i dont have to stick below the 2.850" mag length. I loaded some seated far out to 3.020" but is that too long?