The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 5, 2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

My m14 wont shoot :(

So i got a good deal on an m14 (m1a) the other day. took it to the range on the weekend, put a round in it and....click. Does nothing but misfire. seems the bolt isnt hitting the primer hard/at all. We got it to go once but somethings up. opinions?
Old June 5, 2011, 05:27 AM   #2
SDC

There are a range of things that this MIGHT be, but you have to strip the rifle down and eliminate them one at a time; is the bolt fully closing and locking on a round? Is there grease and grunge in the chamber that might be preventing that? Is there grease and grunge in the firing-pin channel that might be obstructing the firing-pin? Is the firing-pin complete or broken? Is the rifle assembled properly to begin with? We can't answer these things without seeing the rifle, so your question is like asking "Why won't my car start?" without giving any additional information.
Old June 5, 2011, 01:36 PM   #3
HiBC

As SDC said,many possibilities.The bolt must be fully locked.If you are gently easing the first round in,don't.Confirm the op rod is forward before you fire.
If the trigger group is clean and nothing is broken its robust.I suppose some spring misassembly or light springs could make a weak hammerfall

I'd look close at the bolt assy.Example I have seen,someone used handgun primers in 308 ammo.They pierced.The little cookie of primer metal blew back through the firing pin hole,inside the bolt.
There is a GI tool for the M-14,it depresses the ejector and cams the extactor out.Beware the little springs.Then the firing pin is removed.Make sure it is all clean.Inspect the firing pin tip .

One more thing,some of the M-14 clones had problems with maintaining headspace.They would setback.Excessive headspace could be an issue.Try a Field headspace gage.
My very limited experience with the M-14 was in the early 70's.We have a fellow here,SR420,lives and breathes M-14sHe might help,if you ask him.

Last edited by HiBC; June 6, 2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old June 8, 2011, 02:22 PM   #4
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
If you have an M1A marked rifle send it to Springfield.
It come with a lifetime warranty, use it, to get it right.
If you have an M14 there are several reasons this may happen just like SDC said.

Number one: bolt not fully en-gauging the reviver.

Two: the stock is just a little too thick in the trigger guard area, re leave it and then have it bedded.

Three: trigger spring, replace it.

Four: "Sorry HiBC" I would be careful not to drop in a head space gauge with the OP rod spring on the rifle. do it by "hand" with a light hand.

use luber plate, but not in the gas system "keep it dry"

Take some "HOT soapy water and clean the thing inside and out. Get it as hot as you can. buy the time any rust forms the heat of the hot water will dry it out.

PM me if this does not work
Ed
Metzger Design and Engineering
"Dawn work well."
Old June 8, 2011, 02:39 PM   #5
HiBC

By suggesting checking headspace,I meant checking it properly.This would mean stripping the bolt,too.I certainly do not suggest slamming the bolt home on a headspace gage.I'm not sure how you read that from my post.
Excessive headspace can use up some firing pin strike.It is not the most likely scenario,but it is worth a check.

My comment on not easing the bolt forward had to do with loaded ammo.Some folks ride the op rod with the hand,and it can prevent full lockup.

If I had to pick one possibilty,I'd look at crud inside the bolt
Old June 8, 2011, 05:04 PM   #6
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
"I thought this is what you meant."
Several times I have had a m14 with a stuck head gauge in it
I had one guy bring in a m14 and said every time he closes the bolt a round goes off, well just then he hits the op rod and kaboom. I had a hole in the dry wall.
I find a lot of people who are not familiar with the m14 have a crap load of junk in the receiver lug area and in the gas area from oiling it. The m14 is a big boy rifle and is not a beginner level rifle,
I think you gave good advice. But I have had several stuck gauges at the hands of a novice.
All I ever do any more scene 1978 is m14s.