The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 26, 2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Boberama

Recommend me a knife

I want to buy a new knife. I am currently carrying a Puma 270 folder, or a Fairbairn-Sykes knife or a kukri. I want something to replace or compliment the Puma.

I want a defence-oriented knife that has at least a 3.5 in blade.
I don't know about locking mechanisms, but it has to be about a sturdy as the Puma. I've never tried assisted opening knives, but I am interested in them, but it's not a necessity.

I also would like it not to have a weird blade design, for example, nothing like a knife I saw called the Be Wharned!

Thanks all.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Boberama

Oh yeah, and price under $60, please.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:47 PM   #3
AK103K

Gerber MKII. Get over the price.

Old May 26, 2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Boberama

I mean for daily carry everywhere.

I don't like carrying the F-S in urban areas, because I could get in trouble. I still do, because there's no law against it (specifically).
Old May 26, 2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Expypate

Spyderco Delica
Old May 26, 2011, 11:02 PM   #6
jmortimer

I'm liking the Cold Steel Spartan
http://www.ltspecpro.com/products/147-spartan.aspx
Old May 26, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

The "big names" in knives & edged weapons...

That's a hoot, because I was going to suggest the Blackhawk/Be Wharned blade. Lol.
I like the razor sharp tanto types for folders/pocket knives.
I had a great stainless steel knife from Benchmade in the mid 1990s but alas, the model is no longer made.
I'd check www.Blackhawk.com Ernest Emerson CRKT Cold Steel Strider Knives S&W. I also saw a cool ceramic type here; www.Stonerivergear.com .

CF
Old May 27, 2011, 02:26 AM   #8
MEATSAW

I have been a Benchmade man for over a decade. Pretty much all of their folders come in the tanto style (my preference as well) and the lifetime free sharpening service is absolutely golden (they also inspect and fix it). A sharp $60 knife is better than a dull $200 knife, and with Benchmade is very easy to keep it sharp and well maintained.
Old May 27, 2011, 04:17 AM   #9
Single Six

You can't go wrong with Cold Steel knives. I recommend you check their web site at www.ltspecpro.com. Then, if you find what you like, go to www.knifecenter.com, where you will find all of CS's knives at MUCH cheaper prices than you will from CS itself. I would also suggest that you send for Cold Steel's free catalog and also their free video, "Absolute Proof". The DVD will show their knives and swords being put through extreme examples of raw cutting power and torture tests. Some may call the video "over the top" advertising, but the fact is that no other knife company has ever made a video like this. Give 'em a try.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

I like knives and have many. I don't believe one must spend a lot on a good quality knife. I'll exempt fine custom mades from that comment. My most commonly carried folder is a Coleman-Western. It has some kind of sturdy plastic grips, one regular blade and one serrated, both stainless. It is a lock back. I carried an used it cattle ranching for about 25 years. More than once I thought I had lost it in the mud. It would be hard to imagine a more used and abused knife but it has held up well and is as good as new. Original cost? About $25.00. Get a Smokey Mountain catalog and have fun shopping.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:25 AM   #11
Eghad

I have two Benchmades a Pardue 530 and a Griptillian 553. I just recently purchased SOG Special Elite 1. The suggested retail price is over you limit but if you shop around you can get them in your price range.

The SOG was the most expensive at $75.00

I also have a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto. It is bulky compared to the others that I can wear with a suit or slacks.

NRA Life Member
Old May 27, 2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Boberama

Quote:
That's a hoot, because I was going to suggest the Blackhawk/Be Wharned blade. Lol.
I like the razor sharp tanto types for folders/pocket knives.
I just don't want a knife that is called "Be Wharned" because knife laws are intent based here. Officials would not look kindly upon any overtly aggressive knives, since SD knives are a no-no in the eyes of most.

I believe the law says no carrying "an offensive weapon for a purpose dangerous" which is open to interpretation (it was a defensive weapon, you Honour).

It pretty much depends on the location, your social class and appearance, and the circumstances, and of course the individual officer, etc.

So that's the reason for the "no weird blades shapes."

Thanks for the comments. I'm looking into them.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Mr.357Sig

I carry two Kershaws - a Storm and a Blur. I don't think the Blur was more than $60, but if it is, it's just a smidgen over. The Storm was around $35-$40, if memory serves. I found the Blur on the Academy website for $65. Didn't see the Storm.

They are both very sharp, well-made, well-balanced, tough and are USA-made. Some of the cheaper Kershaws, Bucks, Gerbers, etc. are made in CHINA. I avoid Chinese-made knives like Hi-Point pistols.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Nilloc

For an EDC knife, a Spyderco Delica 4 is hard to beat. And affordable too.

Last edited by Nilloc; May 27, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:59 PM   #15
603Country

I carry a knife here on the ranch, and after trying several that were Ok but not great, I settled on a nice inexpensive Gerber folding knife at WalMart. I think it was $26 or something close. Good steel, opens easy with one hand. It's the larger size of the two identically styled models that Gerber offers. The blade, I think, is 3.5 inches. It's the skeleton style knife body. It's good for skinning and for just about anything I need it to do. I got the one with the partially serrated (did I spell that right?) blade, but if this one ever dies I'll get the one with the standard edged blade. The knife is not too big and it's not too small. For the money, I couldn't get a better knife, though I could spend more money if I wanted to impress somebody, or try to.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:09 PM   #16
9-ball

Walther P99 Tactical (yes it's a knife too), it's a copy of the Applegate-Fairbairn knife which costs twice as much. No quality difference whatsoever, only difference is that the A-F knives have a fancy signature on them.

Otherwise Glock Feldmesser 78 or 81 (without or with sawback). This is my favorite. Really though blade, a lot better then Ka-Bar and very cheap too.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:53 AM   #17
ClydeFrog

Knives/edged weapons...

I understand your points about the names/features.
I haven't heard of the Smoky Mountains mail order catalog since the 1990s.

They had a lot of Kase, Buck & Gerber knives & edged weapons.

I saw a cool Buck tactical knife in the latest NRA magazine.
KA-BARs are good too but they are large.

ClydeFrog
ps; Atty David Wong markets a legal guide to gun & knife/blade laws in all 50 US states plus US territories & Washington DC.
Old May 28, 2011, 09:45 AM   #18
wuluf

Quote:
I don't know about locking mechanisms, but it has to be about a sturdy as the Puma. I've never tried assisted opening knives, but I am interested in them, but it's not a necessity.
Look into the Benchmade Axis lock. IMO, it is the strongest locking mechanism in my collection.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:53 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

S&W "Border Guard" tanto knife; S&W handcuffs...

I may buy a new Smith & Wesson Border Guard model folding knife for use on uniformed security details. I purchased a S&W blade with the seat belt cutter & glass breaker but was not happy with the overall quality. I sold that S&W folder to a ex co-worker.
I also bought a new set of S&W red Weathershield type 100 model handcuffs.
I'd call the quality of that stainless steel sub-par too.
Either S&W has a lot of products mass produced w/o any QC inspections or if they are using other vendors they really need to upgrade their designs.

I'm only going to give them 1 more chance.

ClydeFrog
Old May 29, 2011, 12:10 AM   #20
Doc Intrepid

I carry Cold Steel and Benchmade folding knives also, primarily because they are made in the USA. Neither make terribly expensive knives, and I think their quality is excellent for the price.

If any of them are made in China I've not seen them - and I've looked on the boxes to see where the knives I'm looking at are made. But I understand that each manufacturer has different lines with different pricepoints, and it could certainly be that some of the CS and Benchmade folders are Chinese in origin.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:32 AM   #21
Eghad

Benchmade had Red Class knives that were imported. I know they discontinued them for 2010. However there is probably stuff setting on the shelves.

NRA Life Member
Old May 29, 2011, 01:04 AM   #22
pro tc

http://www.myswitchblade.com/
if your intrested in any of the s&w knives copy and paste number on ebay about 15 bucks cheeper
got some great knives on there
Barry

Last edited by pro tc; May 29, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:28 AM   #23
Bill DeShivs

S&W does not make knives. They sold the rights to use their name-probably the same with the handcuffs. Most of the "gun" brand knives are made in China.
Old May 29, 2011, 02:21 AM   #24
pro tc

ok s&w who ever dont really care just saying. if looking at the s&w knives you can get a better deal on ebay
Barry
Old May 29, 2011, 04:31 PM   #25
sonick808

If you live near a Lowes, go have a look at the SOG Flash ii. They carry them there for quite cheap. I love mine. Single edge, so no worries about "self defense" intent. Great knife, assisted open FYI. Locking mech is positively solid. Has a safety also