The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2001, 04:11 AM   #1
a-bolt

I have some hunting ammo I got when my Dad died last June and some other I have had which I touched, fondled and generally got prints all over. Now the brass is tarnished and they look cruddy and I want to clean them up shiny like new.

Can any of you advise on how I should clean these? Oil based stuff might inert the primer [bad] or brasso might weaken cases [i read in the reloading manual by Speer]. What then shall I do to clean them?

Thanks.
Old January 13, 2001, 06:05 AM   #2
Hal

What NOT to try

I dug a few old cruddy looking but new 30/06 rounds out and tried this:

Toothpaste

Flitz Gun Wax

0000 Steel wool

1300grit wet/dry

None of these worked well. The wet/dry and the steel wool scratch he case. The toothpaste worked a bit better than the wax, but still left the cases looking like they had been redone, and not new. I figure my ammo was just stuff I bought and not the keepsake that yours is.
Old January 13, 2001, 08:40 AM   #3
Jerrys

If you have a vibratory tumbler like most reloaders use , you can tumble the brass for about 10 minutes. Many say don't do this, but Dillon sees no problem for a quick clean and all commercial loaders give the rounds a final tumble.
Old January 13, 2001, 11:12 AM   #4
MIKE14

Go to your local Interstste truck plaza and get a can of stuff called Never-Dull they use it to clean the shiny doo dads on their trucks. It is a cotton type wadding saturated in a cleaning solution. I use it on my reloads after I've trimed and primed my empty cases I put each case on the case holder that fits in my cordless drill,I spin the case with a small amount of this wadding around the case. It will turn almost black then with a cotton rag spin the case again wiping off the gunk that the Never-Dull has got loose. I use pieces of old Tee shirts the cotton works well for me after you wipe the residue off you will not see a cleaner case.You need not have the case holder you can do this by hand cause it works real quick. If you are funny about getting your hand dirty use some rubber gloves cause the crud this stuff removes ends up all over your fingers. Check it out the stuff is not expensive
Old January 13, 2001, 12:40 PM   #5
Paul B.

A-Bolt. This is no joke. I've done it many times. Take 0000 steel wool and saturate it with Worcsteshire sauce and gently rub the brass with it. Rinse off with water or wipe down with a very damp cloth. Makes them shine better than factory new.
Try it on a casing that has been blackened by sitting out in the elements. Brass comes out with a pinkish coppery look.
Paul B.
Old January 13, 2001, 03:44 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

A-Bolt, if you ever decide to fire those rounds DO NOT use Brasso to clean them. The ammonia in the Brasso attacks the molecular structure of the brass making it much weaker that it was designed to be. It may not be likely but its still possibe that it may fail when that round is fired.
Old January 13, 2001, 04:41 PM   #7
Steve Smith

Southla1 beat me to it...don't use chemicals like Brasso
Old January 14, 2001, 05:50 AM   #8
a-bolt

thanks you gentlemen. there some good ideas there. i might try the sauce or the never dull trucker's remedy. both are creative.

one of the boxes of ammo is 150gr spitzer .30-06 that dad had for his 03-A3. its made by Browning and in a pretty gold and black box. curious thing: ive never seen browing make ammo b4. i guess they stopped marketing it.

as for my hands getting dirty i think its a good thing to do once in awhile. keeps ya manley, right?

thanks all.
Old January 16, 2001, 03:17 PM   #9
C.M.Rich

Try a little niro-solvent on cotton material it works for me!
Old January 16, 2001, 03:39 PM   #10
Tree Rat

This is the funniest thread I've seen this year.....but it's still early..Tree Rat.
Old January 18, 2001, 12:14 PM   #11
RugerNo3

a-bolt, that Browning ammo was a marketing try of their's in the late sixties. It was tried by the marketing types of one of the many owners of the Browning name. Most of it was sold on closeout at sporting goods stores. Snob appeal was their game, it appears. I acquired a lot of 357 at $5 a box to blast up. No problems with it, just a curio for the headstamp. Packaging was beautiful.
Old January 19, 2001, 12:28 AM   #12
Keith J

Watch out with the nitro

Many including Hoppes have ammonia specifically to attack the copper fouling.

For removing heavy crud, nothin beats Scotch Brite. You can get in in several grades and it won't embed in the brass. Also using the Lee case trimmer setup with the 1/4" shank will allow you to spin them in a drill. Very fast but still dirty. Wear latex gloves or equivalent.

After dry polishing, wipe clean with a damp cloth to remove any dust.

Old January 19, 2001, 12:54 AM   #13
bk40

I've had very good luck with

a product called Miracle Cloth. You can usually find it in gun shops.
Old January 19, 2001, 10:33 AM   #14
Hutch

Just ignore it.

Just shoot it, for heaven's sake. If you reload, you can tumble the empties. Unless you have some serious mold or something growing on the ammo, ignore the tarnish. I assure you, that 03A3, if it has seen any action at all in the service of our country, has seem muuuuuuuuuch worse than you'll ever show it.
Old January 21, 2001, 02:34 AM   #15
a-bolt

ruger #3 --> thanks for the info on the browning stuff. i wondered if it was special and i should hang onto it. interesting background, i wondered why i never see it in stores. heh, snob appeal, i dont need it. i just want it cheap, consistent and reliable.

Hutch --> this stuff is hunting ammo (winchester, browning and some rem.) and I figured I should clean it b4 i use it in my browning A-bolt which gets extra gentle treatment from me. it may be the best gun i own or will own for some time.

as a side note; i got some surp .30-06 FMJ once in 20rd cardboard boxes but it seems my a-bolt did not like it. it would not chamber and i did not force it either. i figure i will feed it to the 03-a3 which should be less finiky. i wonder if the OAL on that surp is off - i cant imagine the headspace being off on the browning. something to check.