The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 13, 2011, 07:58 PM   #1
El Dude-areno

AR-15 So many choices...

I'm wanting to get an AR-15, but the choices out there are almost overwhelming. Here is my question, and remember my knowledge of AR-15 parts and accessories is very limited, is there such thing as a removable front sight or are they all fixed? If not, will a front sight get in the way of a red dot scope? What i'm wanting to do is get a flattop AR and be able to switch back and forth between a red dot scope and a carrying handle with the windage and elevation knobs and the front sight post. Is such a thing possible? I would like to get a DPMS, but i'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks folks!
Old May 13, 2011, 08:04 PM   #2
chris in va

Quote:
is there such thing as a removable front sight or are they all fixed?
Sure, you can get a flattop upper with pic gas block and add any sight you desire.

S&W M&P 15 OR (optics ready)
Old May 15, 2011, 01:57 AM   #3
raimius

You could do both the iron and red-dot:

(I don't recommend that sling set-up! )
Old May 15, 2011, 02:26 AM   #4
HKFan9

Check out Stag Arms. Run about the same price at a DPMS but are built a little nicer and come with a life time warranty. They have a few options on rifles too.

Smith and Wesson M&P's are a decent rifle for the money as well.

People are pretty up tight with the AR's brands... any big name will most likely serve you well.

I have had Stags, Rock Rivers, Colts, a few I build my self.... and my most recent a BCM build I am working on, that is actually on a Stag lower as we speak.

For a starter rifle I HIGHLY recommend Stag Arms. Their parent company is Continental Machine.... who makes AR parts for a lot of other companies... including some of the best ones out there... and even made some M16 parts. The also do Aerospace and Auto parts too. Stag is just their in house name for their rifles. They are pretty affordable as well... and NO I do not work for them... just a happy customer.
Old May 15, 2011, 04:20 AM   #5
jackblack73

Most people don't use a carrying handle anymore. Back up sights can be fixed or flip up. Whether or not it bothers you to see a fixed front sight when using a red dot is up to you. Personally, I have a fixed front sight but I don't notice it because it's set up for a lower 1/3 cowitness (there are other threads here about that).

Go here and look at the pics of the many different ways how people set up their rifles. That will give you some ideas until you decide what you want.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=510264
Old May 15, 2011, 07:02 AM   #6
Rjeezie

Why do you want DMPS? Just asking because from what I hear, many people don't think they are that good.
Old May 15, 2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Marquezj16

S&W M&P15 OR

If you want a fair priced AR15, go with the Smith & Wesson Optics Ready model. You can add flip up front and rear sights if you want. I personally do not feel like a fixed sight gets in your way of the red dot if the red dot is mounted at the right height. My M4 had fixed A2 front sight and the Aimpoint on it was not hindered by it. My AR15 sports a detachable fixed front and rear sight and my red dot is a perfect co-witness (lines up). Good luck!
Old May 15, 2011, 08:20 AM   #8
Ozzieman

I don’t care for the carrying handle or standard sights. For me they are too high.
But that’s the nice thing about the AR you can build it so many different ways you can fit the gun to your needs.
There are a lot of different sights available and the photos are Sights from MI. I like them for the price and only use them for matches where optics are not allowed. They point well and have decent adjustment both forward and rear.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Iron-Sights-s/8.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0020.JPG (220.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0021.JPG (209.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Ozzieman; May 15, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old May 15, 2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Ozzieman

Photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0019.jpg (126.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0018.jpg (124.3 KB, 24 views)
Old May 15, 2011, 03:34 PM   #10
NWdude83

Build an AR and you can get something as good if not better usually for less money.
Old May 15, 2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Quentin2

Sounds like the sighting arrangement raimius pictured would be ideal for you. You get to have full adjustment in your irons plus they cowitness with the RDS. The fixed front sight shouldn't be a problem at all and later if you don't like the fixed rear sight, unscrew it and get a flipup like the MBUS.

raimius, nice rifle BTW! Everything you need and nothing more...

Tags
accessories , ar-15 , front sight , red dot sight