The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2001, 07:35 AM   #1
huntschool

Can anyone give me some info on the 6mm 30/30 Imp.

I am looking at a new single shot and this is one of the caliber choices. All the cartridge offerings in this gun are "rimmed" and I like 6mm.

Any ballistics and load data would be great.

Thanks

Old January 16, 2001, 10:02 AM   #2
RugerNo3

I don't know anything about the cartridge you have in mind other then the 30-30 parent case is in or around the 38,000psi operating range. The 444Marlin case would be a better basis for a wildcat. I'm afraid I'd have to pass on this design. Brass life would be very short.
Old January 17, 2001, 07:48 PM   #3
wildcat

I must agree with #3 on this one.I had a 30-30 ackley improved on a good bolt rifle .While working up loads I carefully meausered expansion of the case web area and found dangerious expansion in that area before the primers showed signs of high pressure.The old 30-30 case is simply to weak for any serious velosity.
Old January 18, 2001, 08:38 AM   #4
Bud Helms
Staff

I think I have to disagree. I have hunted successfully with a .30-30 AI in an H&R Handi Rifle off and on for over ten years. It actually was my primary Whitetail rifle for several years, once I discovered how accurate it was. I still have some brass that I was loading back then and that brass is still reloadable. One of the primary advantages of Ackley's improved design is extended brass life.

All of my case failures have been at the case mouth. I even have an H&R Handi Rifle with a .357 bore that has been chambered out from .357 Max to the .30-30 AI case. For those I size down .375 Win cases because the .30-30 cases ARE notoriously thin to begin with. Again, all case failures are at the mouth. All. I regularly check case length and for case stretch. The Ackley Improved design resists that ... but it doesn't prevent it. I have not tempted fate by loading max loads.

However, after singing the praises (sort of ...) of the .30-30 AI case, if I was going to play with any more rimmed wildcats, I'd go to the .303 Brit case. The Aussies and Canadians have done it all.

To the topic, I am totally unfamiliar with a 6mm/.30-30 AI cartridge except for Ackley's praise of it.

Old January 18, 2001, 11:32 AM   #5
RugerNo3

sesop, you hit the nail on the head with wise and judicious reloading practices. A better cartridge for a custom rifle would be based on the 375Win case or the 444Marlin that SSK uses or the 225Win brass. No sense handicapping yoursellf with a 19th century case design. Not all people recognize subtlties of pressure signs. Brass is the cheapest component in a custom gun. Another nice wildcat is the 7-30 case AI'd in 30 caliber. The NEF rifles are handy in more ways then one.
Old January 18, 2001, 04:50 PM   #6
wildcat

Sensop your handi rifle fully supports the case perhaps that is why your cases do not swell in the web as mine did in my bolt rifle.
Old January 18, 2001, 05:32 PM   #7
Bud Helms
Staff

Wildcat, that's a good point. You're probably right.

Ruger, I have a secret desire for a 7-30 Waters in a .30-30 AI chamber body. There's a dream gun. A Marlin 336 in 7-30 Waters/AI. A SAAMI minimum neck and brass would last just about forever.

Ditto on the old case designs.
Old January 18, 2001, 08:32 PM   #8
Gewehr98

I have to agree with using .375 Winchester brass for .30-30 based wildcats. I own a 10" Wichita silhouette pistol, chambered in 7mm Rimmed International, which is a precursor to the 7-30 Waters - basically, a .30-30 necked down to 7mm with a sharper shoulder, but not blown forward. Full-house loads with WW748 and H-335 played havoc with the thin .30-30 brass, eventually causing neck splits and neck/shoulder separations. Just like the late Elgin Gates advised, I went ahead and used the thicker .375 Winchester brass, and have had no problems since. Which is good, it's been a while since I've seen the stuff advertised in my Midway catalog...