The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Madball6

.45 acp load for a 6" barrel?

Just picked up a 1911 longslide 6" barrel. Has anyone done some workups specifically for accuracy out of a 6" barrel over a 5"? Just curious if there was a powder/load with a better burn rate for the longer barrel.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:45 AM   #2
Madball6

Ok, no responses to the question "has anyone worked up loads for a 6" barrel. Ok, next question, anyone have any recommendations based on random conjecture? I'm planning to test multiple powders at multiple loads, was just hoping someone might have some ideas to shorten my search pattern. Was hoping to aviod testing 12 powders at 5 different loads per powder for 60 loads just to get started before refining... Just looking for a good idea for a baseline. I know due to the sheer numbers of anal reloaders someone must have tried to work out a load that favors a 6" barrel. I guess I'll just have to keep bumping my post until said perfectionist logs on and responds.
Old May 3, 2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Sport45

I don't have a .45acp with a 6" barrel, but my experience is that barrel length really doesn't matter when working up a load. I have a Dan Wesson revolver and a load that works well with the snub barrel seems to work equally well in the 6" barrel.
Old May 3, 2011, 02:36 AM   #4
Madball6

Im a bit of a perfectionist and i simply cant believe that there isnt a load that will maximize in a 6" barrel, so I guess i will start my hunt from scratch and maybe offer these forums something completely and totally original, an optimized .45 acp load for a 6" barrel. I hope im up to the challenge!
Old May 3, 2011, 08:28 AM   #5
CherokeeT

I have 1911's in 4", 5" and 7". I shoot the same loads in all. I have found the difference in accuracy has more to do with the increased sighting length than barrel length. The longer barrel will give increased velocity with some loads, but each gun is different. I use 231 for the majority of my 45 ACP loads and a 230 gr TC style bullet. I would suggest you check your load manuals, pick a starting load and start working with it in your gun.

I have chronographed my loads so I know going from 5" to 7" with the same load will add 20 to 70 fps velocity, depending upon load. Going to my 16" carbine generally only adds 100 fps. I like long barrels, have fun with your 6".
Old May 3, 2011, 01:14 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

accuracy only?

HS6
AA5
Power Pistol
Unique

185g Nosler.

FWIW, assumptions of the "good load for any gun" waste time.
Baseline good loads exist, but remain difficult to define individually.

".....in MY gun....."
Old May 3, 2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Sport45

Every barrel will have it's own "perfect" load. But I think that's because it's a different barrel. Two barrels of the same length might not like the same load. It's a barrel thing, and I don't believe it has much or anything to do with the length.

I have three .45acp handguns. Call me lazy, but I load all of them out of the same bucket of my reloads. If I was a bullseye shooter I might work up a load for each one individually, but I'm not.