The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2011, 01:32 PM   #1
poline

Correct Crimp?

A picture is worth a thousand words and lostinperiphery's picture of his crimped 38spl, the 15 post from the top, first page, in his thread (Unique + 38spl sticking in barrel Lostinperiphery, started 2/18/11) is just right for me to use to ask the following question: of the four rounds given in his picture two are crimped in the middle of the cannelure and the other two are crimped as to completely cover the cannelure, on the bullet side. So, in the forum's opinion which of the two examples is, in theory, the best position to crimp a round?

THANK YOU!
Old March 31, 2011, 02:19 PM   #2
PA-Joe

Into the crimp and remember that you may be able to spin the bullet inside the case but it should not pull out or push in.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Walkalong

If you can spin the bullet you either never had good neck tension or ruined it crimping. Either way it is not good.

Crimp into the middle of the cannelure where it is the deepest.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medium Plus Roll Crimp On 180 Gr XTP In .44 Mag Pic 3.JPG (35.9 KB, 127 views)
Old April 1, 2011, 11:35 PM   #4
Swindler1

What ever the maker of the bullets says the OAL is thats where the crimp goes. Trim your brass to specs if needed,set the OAL and apply crimp.
Old April 2, 2011, 12:46 PM   #5
mikld

When setting my seating depth, I set it so the rim is level with the top edge of the cannalure, and same with a crimp groove in a lead bullet. The roll crimp will push (roll) the brass slightly lower into the cannalure. It doesn't make a lot of difference though, just do them all the same...