The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2011, 02:02 PM   #1
jag2

Older Lee Auto Primer

I've about worn out my Auto primer and see mixed reviews on the new one.
I'm in the process of glueing a washer to the bottom of the pin that pushes the primer into the shell, it was so worn it wasn't fully seating the primer.
If that works, great. If not, does anybody know who may still have the old model in stock? It was discontinued last October so I would think there would still be some out there but I haven't found any yet. I'll also look at the next gun show. Any other suggestions? (don't mean other brands, don't want to start that discussion)
Old April 1, 2011, 02:40 PM   #2
jmortimer

Contact Lee Precision and explain problem and they will make it right. I believe all parts are available and they may just send you what you need. If mine wear out I'll probably just get the new ones but I keep mine lubed-up so they will probably last another 10 years or more.
Old April 1, 2011, 03:32 PM   #3
jag2

Wish it were so. They state on their website the model has been discontinued
and the parts are no longer available. You can send in your old one for a discount on the new model so keep yours lubed up. I guess they got tired of replacing all the handles that broke although mine didn't. Problem is the two
metals that rub on each other are of dissimilar hardness so the softer one will always fail.
Old April 1, 2011, 03:37 PM   #4
madmo44mag

I've got the new style after my old ones wore out and have had NO issues.
Old April 1, 2011, 03:54 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

Hve the new one, and two of the old ones. The two old ones have been retired to back up duty if that says much. The new one has much better feel, and handle is way more solid. The primer flip works way better on the new one too.
Old April 1, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Shootest

I have had no problems with the new version and think it is an improvement. They are so cheap it couldn’t hurt anyone to buy one.
Old April 1, 2011, 06:07 PM   #7
jag2

I guess I'll give it a try. There will be a new Cabelas opening soon near Dallas so they will probably have some sort of sale going on.
Old April 1, 2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Ozzieman

Midway still has parts for them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Lee auto prime____-_1-2-4_8-16-32