The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2011, 01:43 AM   #1
cheezhed

hornady dies

Has anyone used hornady dies with the tin coating? How does it compare to a carbide die as far as life of the coating? Is it as slick as carbide?
Old March 27, 2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Waldog

They are standard "carbide" dies. Hornady just uses a different name. Great dies, by the way.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:53 AM   #3
Shoney

The Hornady dies are impregnated electrochemically with Titanium Nitride. The process gets the TiN deep into the steel of the die. It cannot be abraded out of the metal.

On the hardness scale, Titanium Nitride is much harder than carbide.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 27, 2011, 05:59 AM   #4
hooligan1

What is the actuall benefit of this Titanium Nitride, as it pertains to the coating of dies?
Old March 27, 2011, 09:08 AM   #5
PA-Joe

TN is smoother than carbide.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:00 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
TN is smoother than carbide.
The proper abbreviation(as used in industry), for Titanium(Ti) Nitride is TiN.
Old March 27, 2011, 11:44 AM   #7
hooligan1

And with those dies, do you still have to lube your brass?
Old March 27, 2011, 09:08 PM   #8
BigJakeJ1s

Titanium Nitride performs the same function as carbide in a sizing die: it takes and retains a better polish than steel, reducing friction, to avoid the use of case lubricant while resizing brass cartridge cases.

While the surface hardness of TiN is harder than carbide, the underlying steel is not, so that for some machining/cutting applications, TiN/steel does not perform as well as carbide, but TiN/carbide outperforms untreated carbide.

Andy
Old March 28, 2011, 08:01 PM   #9
NESHOOTER

Quote:

Yes,,,, Yes.....Yes!!!!!!!!
Old March 28, 2011, 08:34 PM   #10
k4swb

Quote:
I don't.
Old March 28, 2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Shoney

Quote:
Straight wall pistol and rifle cases may not need lube, but all bottleneck cases do.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 28, 2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

You don't NEED to lube, but it's still easier to size and operate the press. I lube 1 out of every 5 or 10 cases. This is regarding straight/tapered walled cases. On bottlenecks, I lube LIGHTLY every case.

I have a set of the Hornady dies. I personally had a problem with the sizing die. When I received another die from Hornady, it seemed to help out my problems. I'm still not warm to them...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 31, 2011, 02:04 PM   #13
hooligan1

I used my new Hornady die in 7mm Rem Mag, and I noticed that if the cases weren't lubed well, it was a booger to pull through the cycle! I thought maybe it was because they were new dies?!
Old March 31, 2011, 02:17 PM   #14
PA-Joe

You need to lube rifle cases! Not too much though and wipe the necks before putting them in the die.
Old March 31, 2011, 02:39 PM   #15
dahermit

Quote:
I used my new Hornady die in 7mm Rem Mag, and I noticed that if the cases weren't lubed well, it was a booger to pull through the cycle! I thought maybe it was because they were new dies?!
What makes you think that your dies are Titanium Nitride and not just steel? A full-length sizing die that is coated with TiN would be very expensive.
Most Tungsten Carbide, Titanium Nitride dies are strait-walled pistol (and .30 Carbine), dies. Can anyone confirm? I went to the Hornady site and did not find any reference to Titanium Nitride bottle-neck rifle dies.
Old March 31, 2011, 03:53 PM   #16
hooligan1

Mine are the standard steel, I only use enough lube to size properly, and I do not use lube on the necks! Earlier in this thread I only asked the question,(about the new Titanium Nitride) would these new type dies need lube, not did mine need lube, but thanks for your concern dahermit.
Old March 31, 2011, 05:03 PM   #17
NESHOOTER

I guess I should make myself more clear, As others stated you will need to lube all bottleneck brass as I have found in reloading. However I do not lube the pistol brass and if some have been luckier than I and have not gotten stuck in the die.... great. If one would be bold to do until all reloading comes to a halt, it would be a great idea to have a stuck case remover.
Old March 31, 2011, 05:08 PM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Hooligan1,

I don't know about new. I've got some titanium nitrided .44 Mag dies that are 20 years old, at least. Forster/Bonanza.

In any case, the answer will be the same: Any kind of polished super-hard die material will have less friction with brass than steel. A straight wall case that is sized by passing through a short ring of the hard material at the mouth of the die will not require lube to prevent getting stuck. That's because, in addition to the hard material having less friction with the brass, the sizing ring doesn't have a large contact area where the case springs outward against it, so you get relatively little friction. Any kind of bottleneck rifle case, whether the die is nitrided, carbide, or whatever, will still require lube because the contact area is whole case instead of just a ring. The friction, though lower than in a steel die, is still many times greater than the pistol case in a short ring will experience and the case can still get stuck without lube.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old April 1, 2011, 05:15 AM   #19
hooligan1

Maybe I just need a "BOWFLEX"!!!
Old April 1, 2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

I wish it were that simple. Here's a photo of a .223 case stuck in a Dillon carbide die that I "blowflexed" the head off of.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old April 1, 2011, 05:46 PM   #21
hooligan1

hehehe, been there done that!