The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2011, 07:55 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Remove and Replace 870 LE with Sport Forend

I bought an Express Synthetic 870 with a Law Enforcement forend (sometimes called a cob forend). I may need to replace it with a Sport forend (that is the more steamlined longer one without heavy cross ribbing). Should I swap them, is there much work involved and will I have to get any other parts such as diffent rails?
Old January 3, 2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The only problem is unscrewing the collar that's inside the front of the hand grip.
This requires a special tool to remove the collar, then the hand grip simply slides off, and the new one on. The collar is reinstalled and snugged down tight.

While I don't recommend this, some people have used the gun's slide as a tool to unscrew the collar. The slide is the plate that fits under the bolt.

DON'T follow advice to use a pair of needle nose pliers to unscrew it. One slip and you'll damage or ruin the thin action bar tube.

You can buy a special wrench to do this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=723227

You can also make a tool with some 1/8" steel plate.
Old January 3, 2011, 10:27 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

Dfariswheel,

Than for the advice.I saw the video on Youtube advising how to unsscrew the collar with needle nose pliers. Thanks for the headsup on the problem that can result from using needle nose. If I decide to swap my forearm, I may PM you as to how to make a wrench. (I guess some prefer the short Law Enforcement stock sold on Remington's tactical models.)
Old January 4, 2011, 12:16 AM   #4
jackpine

I've use needle nose pliers and it's easy to chew things up. You get a cheesy tool with tacstar forends and the brownells tool make the job easy but it's a bit to spend on a one time job.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:31 AM   #5
MiniZ

TheKlawMan,

If you end up deciding to do this, PM me your address and I'll mail my tool to you. You can mail it back when you are done.

No sense in buying a tool if you are only going to do the job once.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:43 AM   #6
TheKlawMan

MiniZ, Thanks for the offer, but only if you let me reimburse you for the cost of mailing and half the cost of the tool. I will PM you if I do it.

Meanwhile, there is an industrial hardware store not too far out of the way. I am going to make it a point to drop by there and see if they have a tool to get the job. They may as they are the only one supplying machinists in a fairly large area.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; January 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

I too prefer the style of tool shown at http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=723227 for R&R (removing and reinstalling) 870 fore-ends. This tool lets you finish tightening up the forearm nut with the action open and the forearm back all the way at the receiver, so you can better center up the forearm to avoid barrel rub. It lets the magazine tube protrude from the front of the tool and you can use the receiver to gauge how well centered the forearm is- of course, the barrel has to be removed to do this. Works on the various 870 clones (Hawk 981/982, Pardner Pump etc) I've used it on so far as well.

And it's on sale for $19.49 till the end of the month...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Cruncher Block

Before you buy a new forend, check your PMs.
Old March 22, 2011, 03:40 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

CruncherBlock. I finally got around to installing that sport fore end and it fits perfect. I used the method Dfariswheel suggested, which was to use the bolt slide for a wrench. I don't know how that would work on a old frozen collar nut, but it worked great on a new gun.

Tags
870 , le forend , remington