The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Horstkyle

WTB handloads and reloads

I'm a shooter looking to start buying handloads and reloads for target shooting.

I'm looking for competitively priced ammo in the north Dallas area that I can pick up, I will also consider ordering by mail if the price and quality is right. I want to forge a good relationship with someone.

I will initially order 500 rounds to ensure that it is quality and my gun will feed it. If I like it, expect me to become a regular customer for YEARS.

I will primarily buy 5.56/.223 every six weeks, probably in multiples of 1000 rounds. I will also buy .380, .40 s&w, 45 ACP, and .38 special. One range rule, the rifle ammo CANNOT be FMJ.

Like I said before, I would prefer a local (North Dallas) reloaders, but send an offer and I will consider everything. Oh, I'll return my brass on request too.
Old March 19, 2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Jim243

Horstkyle

But it is illegal to sell any hand loads unless the person selling it has a Federal Firearms Lic. (FFL). You should be able to do a Google search on "Remanufactured Ammunition" and find many firms (people) that sell on the internet. You will have to pay a Hazmat fee as well as shipping costs. So far UPS is the only shipper that will handle ammo that I am aware of (Yes they have to be Lic. as well as to ship).
Old March 19, 2011, 05:33 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

That's a Class 6 FFL, if I remember correctly. Not just any FFL will do...
Old March 19, 2011, 09:12 PM   #4
chris in va

$2500 license, then millions in insurance.

You need to buy from a licensed ammo manufacturer, not just anyone that reloads. Both you and that person can land in prison.
Old March 19, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
jimbob86

Or....... you could learn to do it yourself: a couple hundred in start up costs..... it ain't hard: even I can do it.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old March 20, 2011, 05:11 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

real numbers (but from the past)

My FFL06 cost $30 for three year renewals; my ammunition liability insurance started at four figures.

Manufacturing took all the joy out. Plus, bullets are made with lead, and lead is heavy.....no big deal when making 'some', but a real big deal when making 'many'.
Old March 20, 2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

And there you have it

Jim243 gave the short answer. This is about the only way to go and still be in compliance with the law. With all the rather stupid firearms and shooting laws and regulations there are, this regulation of sale of home built ammo is one pretty GOOD one. It protects us bargain seekers from ourselves.

WESHOOT2 gives one reason that custom loaded ammunition - - accurate, safe, high quality -- is only seldom a money saving proposition.

One suggestion - - Check out Cabela's store in Fort Worth. They handle Ultra Max remanufactured ammo at reasonable prices, in most if not all the calibers you seek. At least in .223, their soft point 55 gr. hunting ammo has been surprisingly accurate in two different acoped AR15s and one lightweight bolt rifle.

Good luck to you.
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old March 20, 2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Horstkyle

Thanks! I didn't know that ammo had to come from a licensed manufacturer as well.

Any good online stores that sell reloads?
Old March 20, 2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

It's not really considered a "reload" when it's sold by an actual manufacturer, even if they reuse cases.

Anyway, there are many well known and respected sellers of bulk quantities of ammunition.

Georgia Arms and Ammo Man are two of the better known sellers. Georgia Arms in particular has an excellent reputation.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old March 20, 2011, 05:19 PM   #10
brickeyee

Learn how to do it yourself.

You can then make ammunition tailored to YOUR gun.

Tags
.233 , 5.56 , bulk , handloads , reload aluminum