The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2011, 06:48 PM   #1
GirlswithGuns

Question About Original Lee Loader (Pics)

Hello everyone!
I have been scouring the internet looking for a knowledgeable reloading forum and it looks like I may have finally found it!

Well, anyway here is the story. My boyfriend's father recently passed away and we inherited some very nice reloading equipment including a MEC 9000 Series!
But, we also got a few more obscure things as well. For example, an Original Lee Loader. Now I've done my homework and I have not come across any that are packaged like the one we have. It seems to be pretty old but of this I can't be sure because there is a sticker on it that says Gander Mountain lol.

I guess the point is that we have this supposedly old loader and I just basically wanted to know if anyone knew anything about it. I have heard rumor that it was used to load paper shells. I was just wondering if there was any truth to that. I am attaching the Image below.

The Text on the box reads:
Now includes Full length Wad Starter
6 & 8 Segment Crimp Starters
and 3 Shot Measures

I know it was used quite often due to a crack in one of the parts. To my knowledge the only thing missing is one of the nylon crimps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LEE Loader.jpg (243.5 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by GirlswithGuns; March 6, 2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Fixed Picture Attachment
Old March 6, 2011, 08:10 PM   #2
hk33ka1

They were for loading plastic hulls. I'm sure you could do other types with a star crimp too. Lee hasn't made these for shotguns since the seventies, but they still make some for rifles and pistol. They come up on eBay all the time, with the .410 shot shell loader being the most sought after. There was some sort of dispute with Richard Lee and some other folks or company and Lee Engineering was reborn as Lee Precision. Mequon also made/packaged these and may be the company in question. They used to make a lot of different calibres for the rifle models and did custom ones, and packaged some with a hand primer and micrometer for seating depth. Now they just make a couple types and no custom cals, or extra tools.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:07 PM   #3
GirlswithGuns

Thats very interesting. Thank you for the information! I will have to do some Ebay research apparently.

Tags
lee loader , loader , reloading