The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2011, 08:55 PM   #1
T1gger

Planning on getting into reloading...

It would be for 45 ACP and 9mm. I don't shoot a ton, but I do like to get out and shoot when I can. I'm looking at getting a Lee 4-hole turrent press with auto index, and I'd plan on just using the Lee dip and funnel for adding the powder (again not planning on doing 1,000 rounds at a time). Would this be adequate?

Also, what do you use to clean used brass before reloading?
Old March 4, 2011, 08:59 PM   #2
sserdlihc

How much DO you plan on shooting? You can shoot up couple hundred rounds pretty quickly.
Old March 4, 2011, 09:02 PM   #3
T1gger

I probably shoot much less than many on this forum.
Old March 4, 2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I highly recommend the Lee Classic turret (4-hole turret). Properly set-up, you can load at least 200 rounds an hour without "rushing". That's just a good, quick, steady pace.

However, using the funnel and dippers would slow that pace a fair bit. I don't know how much, but it definitely would be slower than the AutoDisk There's not much reason to not use the Lee Auto-Disk system. It is inexpensive and works well with many powders that would be good choices for 9mm and 45acp. If you get the AutoDisk, make sure it's the "Pro" version.

For cleaning brass, the vast majority of us use a vibratory tumbler, often with additives for polish, and either corn cob or walnut tumbling media. A rotary tumbler with stainless media does a fabulous job, but the cost can be prohibitive ($250+) and some people don't like the need for liquid cleaner.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old March 4, 2011, 10:54 PM   #5
jmortimer

Your plan is a sound one. I really like using powder dippers and I don't think it slows you down much because you do not even have to use a scale once you know how much powder your dipper is dumping. With a powder measure you need to check your charge on a scale periodically for safety. Powder dippers are the safest way to charge your ammunition. The Lee Precision Classic Turret is a fantastic product. I use mine in single stage mode.
Old March 4, 2011, 11:12 PM   #6
heitz

Lee has some nice starter kits that give you all that you need to get going except dies and supplies. I started with a single stage press kit that came with a primer tool, powder hopper, scale, and so on. right in the $130-140 range I think from cheaper than dirt or Midway. If you want to step up from there they have turret kits and full on progressives with dies included. Just depends on dollars and sense. Pun intended
Old March 4, 2011, 11:18 PM   #7
Miata Mike

You might even try powder dippers and trickle the rest of the way to the exact weight. I am guessing it wouldn't take a whole lot longer and will still be within .1 grain or so.

I just bought an Uber expensive RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 combo, and still find myself waiting until I am almost ready for the powder before I dispense it.

I found my Lee perfect powder measure to be accurate within reason, but just wanted something very accurate. The Lee measure I am sure goes for $25 or so and is a good volume based dispenser just like the dippers, especially if you use small spherical powders like Bullseye.
Old March 5, 2011, 01:27 AM   #8
chris in va

Skip the Lee dippers. Make your own using fired 9mm cases, duct tape and wire. And a hacksaw.

Get a beam scale. I found an old Redding on Ebay for $25.

Harbor Freight has a decent price on a vibratory cleaner. They also sell walnut media.

Universal Clays powder has the consistency of sand and is easy to use with dippers. Works in 9mm and 45.
Old March 5, 2011, 07:52 AM   #9
Shootest

Adequate, yes. Perfect, no. But I could go for that if I had a tumbler.
Have fun.
Old March 5, 2011, 09:35 AM   #10
CrustyFN

Go for the classic turret over the deluxe turret. Just curious why you want to use dippers rather than a powder measure?
Old March 5, 2011, 11:17 AM   #11
jwilson48

i used to use lee dippers when i first got into reloading and i made up some very accurate rounds. the problem is there is such a gap between the dippers, a lot of the time depending on the cartridge, you may only have one or two choices of amount of powder to use. if your not that concerned with making the most accurate load possible, then by all means they are great. lee also sells kits with the powder measure in it and it greatly speeds up time. i'm sure its just about as accurate as the scoops, which is to say within a couple tenths. i now use a hornady powder dispenser and i will never go back, but i mainly reload for rifle and accuracy is key. i will say i did have a small problem with my lee 4 hole, ended up having to drill the turret head holes out a little because it didn't line up perfectly with the ram. now it does some say the classic turret is better for just a little more. wish i knew then what i know now.
Old March 5, 2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Dave R

Your choice of presses is great. I use the Deluxe Turret.

IMHO, the best way to use it is to buy a separate Autodisk for each caliber (9mm and .45--and then each one you reload in the future!) Cost about $30 (?) for each Autodisk Leave each autodisk attached to its die set in its turret.

That way, when you change calibers, you just drop in the new turret, pop on the new shell holder, add powder to the autodisk, and start pulling the lever. Very productive.
Old March 5, 2011, 01:33 PM   #13
overkill0084

If you get one of the Lee Kits, the Lee Perfect powder measure is likely to be in the box. It's is a very good measure, considering it's price point. If your not getting the kit, consider it anyway, they are less than $30. Try the dippers if you like. They work well and they are an inexpensive option, but I would be surprised if you didn't eventually get a powder measure.
No matter how you do it, you will need a decent scale. Measure or dipper, you will need to verify your charges.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke